• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

Griffin

Yeah with Livvy I don’t even bother trying to carry her in my hands up the stairs to the bath tub so instead I pick her up and place her in a small plastic box, carry it up and put her in the tub and she’s completely fine. And with that method she doesn’t have to stress and squirm about like a tweaker in my hands and luckily I haven’t ever created that association when she is in my hands.

James Smith

I was thinking of doing that, but I was worried that would actually stress BOGA out more. I like that ideal. I will try that tomorrow. Sounds like another adventure is brewing...

James Smith

Griffin I would like to say bath time went better than expected. It was a little water training and bath time together. After bath time he was rewarded with a pinky mouse and small salmon wedges with kiwifruit on the side, a meal fit for a King.
Thank you for the advice.

James Smith

Hey guys, I have a question. When I built BOGA enclosure I installed 2/...25 watt UVB T8 bulbs and I mounted them to the back of the enclosure. It sits about 28 inches from the surface. The enclosure is for now 5×3×30. Is this enough UVB light for him or should I get stronger bulbs?

Last edited:

James Smith

I have decided to scale dow the enclosure build. It's for several reasons, however the sure size of this build is already taking up most of the den. It will 8×3×30 which is plenty of room.
20181207_193104.jpg

James Smith

I agree with you Walter1. As you can see in the pic. I was going to run the enclosure over the 2×4 laid on the floor but if you noticed that do not leave much room for moving around the room for the both of us.

I was trying to go over and beyond what is just an okay size for my new buddy. Sometimes less is more...not this size is less though. This enclosure is still massive lol.

Last edited:

James Smith

Thanks AlphaAlpha. I still need to put in the new window on the end and skin the rest of it with the cedar siding and then lastly place the mattress on top. I think for the first build I did okay. It definitely built like a tank. I love that is completely waterproof too.

If I could do it all over again, I would have made the enclosure in a way so it could be disassembled. The enclosure is glue, screwed, chalk and watersealed.

Last edited:

James Smith

20181210_175829.jpg
20181210_175841.jpg
20181210_180004.jpg
20181210_180147.jpg
Now I just need to put the siding on and done.
Zyn do you think if the siding is on the outside of the enclosure it would still be a problem? I knew it was toxic but I thought if it was on the outside it wouldn't be an issue. You raise a good point. Now I'm concerned....

Last edited:

James Smith

Okay guys I have an interesting question I think. I watched a video and in the video there was a young lady who seems pretty knowledgeable about Tegus. She mentioned that you should not feed your Tegu before they go down in brumation because they will have trouble digesting their food and the food would just sit in their stomach and rot, causing sickness and possibly death. Here's my question. How do you know when your Tegu is going down in brumation? I understand by watching their habits you should know that they are going down in brumation but you might have fed them one or twice and that food is now in their stomach. Any thoughts?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They spend more and more time hidden and are much less interested in eating, so you provide a cooler end and shorten basking time to allow them to digest and sleep e.pty. Keep water available just in case.

James Smith

He is definitely spending more and more time hidden. He is up around 4:30-5:00 am then he burrows under between 11am and 3pm., so my question is do I keep providing food or cut back?...because he is definitely showing signs of brumation sleep.

James Smith

I think that would be best Walter1. Will do... thank you.

Hey go to his Facebook page and see our progress. I just uploaded a new video from this morning. The Adventure of BOGA is the page name. Leave a comment if you could.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd be happy to but I do not have a facebook page.

Maybe once in a while post one here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced