• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm lucky and my dads friend actually has Quail so all through the laying season i get free eggs.

James Smith

Okay guys, I am usually more observant than this but I just realized something about BOGA.

BOGA has a marking of his initial on his tail lol. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
20181226_085254.jpg
20181226_085314.jpg

James Smith

I have another update.

BOGA has started to accept me, not fully but enough to come every now and then when called to enters into my open hands for me to hold him. It seems he is looking for comfort. He only stays for a short period of time and then leaves... I think the time he spend in my hands will someday increase, I hope, but for now I will accept whatever limits he allow.

I have had other reptiles and other pets in general. In the short period of time BOGA has quickly worked into my heart. By spending a total of 4 to 5 hours a day in the morning with BOGA I am starting to notice little personality traits of his too.

Thank you Hector Habitats for an awesome little guy...

James Smith

Oh boy, BOGA just recieved his A.R.S.
(Artificial Rain System)

It need to be adjusted a bit still but for now it really works well. The thing I like most, outside of not needing to mist with a spray bottle once or twice a day, is I can control the amount of pressure received for each side.

On to the next job...
20181231_212146.jpg

James Smith

I was trying to figure a way to make the
A.R S. automatic, like on a timer or something and my mind just couldn't get there.

Have anyone made a automatic rain system on a timer? If so please fill me in.

James Smith

Okay here is another question.

Shouldn't the hide box be located on the cool side of the enclosure? It makes sense to me but I could be wrong.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd probably try to provide one at each end and see what Boga prefers, I know Alpha prefers sleeping under his tile that is elevated for his basking spot.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Boga is really growing on me too. I am a big Star Wars fan. I seen every Star Wars movie in the theater when they actually first came out. I just told my age too by the way lol.

I just saw a troubling video this evening where the Tegu was going through what the owner called puberty and the Tegus action was aggressive in nature. Is this what one would expect with in a Tegu?
It kind of depends, my gu was kind of anti me looking at him or touching him for a while between being a foot and a half and being two feet long. They do go through different attitudes but it's important to stick it out, or if you're me you'll let your gu knaw on your finger to show him you're not good eating material lol

James Smith

Hello guys,
I feed BOGA 2 to 3 quail eggs twice a week. Could I feed him quail eggs more time per week with out it being to much for him?

I have a lot of quail eggs and I would like to keep the rotation up so that they remain fresh quail eggs.

Leezard

5 Year Member
While quail eggs are much more nutritious than chicken eggs I think the amount your feeding now is more than enough! I tend to use eggs as a way to get my gu to eat vegetables and fruit .just watch his growth and monitor for fat deposits and I think you'll find the right balance!

James Smith

I figured that the amount was fine Leezard, thank you for the advice too, really. I also dialled my humidity up. Now it is at 80 to 90 percent all day now and at night it drops down to 75 percent. BOGA's
20190103_060543.jpg
20190103_060526.jpg
shed was much nicer too. He do not mind me helping with his shed. I think it feels good to to him. Today I pulled a piece off his tail and he whipped around real quick but did nothing. I think it felt weird to him at first. I never attempted to pull shed off his tail before. I showed the shed to him and suddenly he lost interest. Later he came and fell asleep on my hand again. He's a little silly boy.

Leezard

5 Year Member
I figured that the amount was fine Leezard, thank you for the advice too, really. I also dialled my humidity up. Now it is at 80 to 90 percent all day now and at night it drops down to 75 percent. BOGA's View attachment 13362 View attachment 13363 shed was much nicer too. He do not mind me helping with his shed. I think it feels good to to him. Today I pulled a piece off his tail and he whipped around real quick but did nothing. I think it felt weird to him at first. I never attempted to pull shed off his tail before. I showed the shed to him and suddenly he lost interest. Later he came and fell asleep on my hand again. He's a little silly boy.
Awww look at him being so adorable! And that is a really nice shed good job! :)

James Smith

Thank you and I hate to say this but I forgot to give BOGA his bath time, but I did put the rain system on a few mins. for the last few days, and this is the result along with the higher humidity of course.

James Smith

BOGA is being really good about not destroying is vegetable garden. He walks up to the plants and licks his tongue then he either walks around or over the plants without stepping on them. This is day six and he already has new growth. There's also two avocado seeds in the water to gain a root base.
20190107_063324.jpg

James Smith

BOGA arrived home on November 9, 2018 at 3 months old and today is January 9, 2019. It took 2 months to get here.
20190109_094915.jpg

BOGA has really calmed down. He allows me to pick him up and he comes to my hand so I can pick him up. I can touch his head and tail. I rub his nose and underneath his Jowls. He seems to like the affection. BOGA relaxed in my arms for 8 min today, and then I walked around the house with him in my arms for a couple of minutes as well.

A side note:

I placed him in a chair and seeing that they do not like heights I used that to my advantage. BOGA did not want to climb down or jump, so I reach out my hands. My hand became a safe place for BOGA to get down. I did this over and over again and now when I put my hand down he climbs right into it. This technique is very similar to water training and it worked for me and BOGA.

Today was a good day.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You've got the understanding of socializing tegus. BOGA looks great too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced