• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My red tegu has been brumating for way to long.

Kody

Hi, i got a baby red tegu back in september from the wasatch reptile expo and ever since i've had him he's been asleep he isn't skinny and when i try to wake him up he seems to have lots of energy he's very quick, but i'm just wondering what to do to keep him up and get a feeding response out of him. i have him in a 40 gallon exo terra with a 150 watt basking bulb that i keep on a little longer day cycle than night and he has two sets of 5.0 uvb bulbs i'm just wondering how to keep him awake and to start eating. i just pulled him out and he seems healthy and fine but i know once i leave him for awhile he will just go back to his burrow.

Deac77

5 Year Member
You can't...they do their own thing.

Best would be to get is exact basking temps (surface temp you have to have a temps gun), ambient, and setup details. Incase there is something else that could be wrong.

Kody

012.JPG
013.JPG

Kody

no i have the dial for humidity and a temp gun that thermometer dial is just there because i didn't have a temp gun at the time.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How do you maintain the right humidity levels constantly in a screen-top? It seems like a rather difficult thing to do in that sort of setup.

As far as the long-lasting brumation goes, I wouldn't worry too much - your tegu will come up on his/her own when the time is right. Try not to disturb it by pulling it out etc. I know it can be difficult when you are trying to socialize with it, but you just have to wait!

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the site.

Do not worry, your tegu is acting completely normaly. I know its hard to have a new pet that you want to interact with, but when it comes to their deep sleep there isnt much you can do about it. It sounds like he should be wakeing up soon, just keep turning on the lights every day and eventualy he will crawl out. Its only a tegus internal clock, and their sence of the seasons that can wake them from hybernation.

Kody

Alright i was just getting worried and yeah keeping humidity up is a pain i was gonna buy a humidifier or put some towels over the screen or something like that but thanks i was just worried i can wait to interact with him i just didn't know if he was sleeping to long because of a health issue or something to that extent but thanks for the input :] i was just worried about my little guy/girl idk yet what his sex is but hopefully when summer gets around he'll get up.

Kody

My little tegu woke up :D and he's shedding and chomping down tons of crickets. i tried pinky mice and ground turkey but he isn't going for that stuff yet. they're more insectivores as babies right?

Jomatty

I would definitely cover the top with a towel or aluminum foil. Be careful though, as it will hold heat a lot better and you will likely need to drop down to a lower wattage bulb, to still get a nice gradient.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980