• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my tegu and sav. monitor hanging out

kpelzer

5 Year Member
this is my 3 ft arg b&w tegu basking with my 2 ft Savannah monitor. there are no problems when they are together and they actually choose to lay close to each other.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/kpelzer55/?action=view&current=baskingtogether.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu29 ... gether.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Beasty

5 Year Member
Nice! Is that just "play time"? Not housed together is what I'm getting at.
I've kept almost everything over the years on cypress. It rocks!

kpelzer

5 Year Member
yeah they don't live together but i was considering it cause they have grown up together and never had a prob. they sleep together bask together and bathe together. both tame. i probably wont put them in the same house thou cause everyone says its a bad idea. being 2 diff species even thou they are very similar.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Yeah. If you have the tegu at the proper humidity the sav would eventually develop sores on his feet if not other ailments and if you did keep it dry enough for the sav the tegu wouldn't shed properly. And those are just a couple scenarios explaining why it's not a good idea to house together. That's cool they get along though.
I'll be trying to introduce my blue and hybrid redXblue here soon and hopefully house them together eventually but the blue is far larger than any of my tegus at present. I'd love to at least let them all hang out with each other some.

kpelzer

5 Year Member
well good luck introducing them, but every where i read it says keep the Savannah cage a tropical humidity and that they are often mistaken for desert animals when they enjoy a humid atmosphere. there tanks are the same humidity and they r both on cypress. how bigs your blue?

Beasty

5 Year Member
Belle is 26 inches now and the hybrid is 20. I showed Belle the little guy through the glass and he freaked out the other day. We'll see what happens as he settles in. My extremes live together already.

Savannahs are from a semi-arid region, if I'm not mistaken. I read somewhere if they are constantly kept too moist they develop sores on their feet. I always kept mine drier when I had them but would soak them regularly and never had any problems. I had one that eventually died presumably from old age I had for 8+ years. He was 1 to 2 y/o when I got him. He might have lived longer if fed more big bugs but I didn't know that at the time. I got him back in the age of dinosaurs and no internet and books outdated with bad husbandry. The trade has come a long way since then!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How are tegus and savannahs very similar? You will have problems with your savannah if you keep his cage humid, savannahs, come from dry savannahs. Tegus need more humidity, and housing two separate species is just asking for trouble.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Just wondering, how are they so accustomed to each other, as shown in the picture, if they are not already housed together for quite sometime.

kpelzer

5 Year Member
they are not housed together each one has a separate living enclosure i just allow them to free roam about 20 mintues a day together and bathe together.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/kpelzer55/?action=view&current=cages.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu29 ... =cages.jpg</a><!-- m -->

here are there enclosures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980