• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu died :-(

blaykey

Don't wana bum anyone out too much, but Lola died about a week and a half ago. It was a freak accident. She fell from no higher than 1 foot off the ground, and I suspect she broke her back or neck, as she dragged herself along a bit, then stopped moving and passed. The height she fell from really shouldn't have been a dangerous height. I think we were just unfortunate.

Anyway, we have already got ourselves a brand new red Teg, and he's called Eric! I just have some questions I want to run by you people on here. We had already put in nearly 3 months of hard work trying to tame Lola, and things were going really really well. She came onto our hands whenever we put our hands in her viv, and it's very frustrating that we're going to have to go through that all again, but it'll be worth it. There's nothing better, cuter and more fun than a tame Tegu!

So, questions:

1) When they're babys, how did you guys get them ut of the viv for handling and feeding time? With Lola we actually put our hands in and picked her up a few times, which she didnt like. She ran away until we cornered her, then we gently picked her up, held her tightly enough so she couldnt squirm out of our hands (not too tightly of course) and then took her into our cleared out bathroom to sit with her on the floor. After a couple of weeks of leaving our hands in the viv and waiting for her to come to us, we no longer needed to go for her, she came for us. I'm sure that it must be pretty stressful to grab and hold a Tegu that doresn't want to be held. Or is this what we should be doing?

With Eric, I am waiting until he is on a big peice of bark in his viv, then lifiting that out and taking it through to the bathroom to spend time with him there. Should I be grabbing him, or not???

2) Eric is staying burrowed and sleeping A LOT. More than Lola did when she was a baby. He's staying hidden for at least 18 hours of the day. Is this normal???

3) Should I ever pick up the wood he is burrowing under, if I think he needs to eat, or is sleeping way too much?

I'll think of more questions but thats all for now.

Thanks guys!

j.sawyer48

my baby red tegu sleeps alot to and stays hidden sometimes 18 hrs but not everyday. it seems to be normal but i am a first time tegu owner so im a amature. Mine does not like to be taken out of his enclosure but once out he is very relaxed and tame he does this every time. and i try not to disturb him while hes burrowing but sometimes i do so i can feed or bath him.

kellen.watkins

I had an argentine (R.I.P. Juice) b&w and I disturbed hime once when he was burrowed and was pissed off at me for a week which really sucked cause I was just making progress on taming him, he also did the same thing barely came out just give him time he will come around :)
I had a b&w (R.I.P. Juice) and he was did a lot of sleeping the 1st 2 months I had him, I work nights and would have to sleep 2 hours at a time wake up and see if he was out so I could take him out to feed and bathe him, I disturbed him once when he was burrowed (not in his hide) and he was mad at me for like 2 weeks had to wear kevlar gloves to get him out of his viv and I was making good progress in taming when that happened so me personally I won't ever disturb them when they are burrowed ever again lol

Whoops posted twice thought I messed up the 1st time lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As far as the sleeping/burrowing they could be imports trying to hibernate.

I wouldn't grab him to get him out for feeding or handling, for the time being feed in the enclosure. To get him acclimated do what you have been doing, put your hands in the cage and let him come to you. Once he is comfortable with you picking him up, than work on the handling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me