• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu dosent eat crickets anymore

mguy

5 Year Member
At a year and a half my tegu dosent eat crickets anymore I knowing this is a sign of him getting older. He still eats super worms and hornworms. He is eating his fruits when I give them to him. How should I change his diet More mice? More turkey?

G

On the home page is a Tegu Care Sheet link in red. All of the info you need is in there. If you have any questions after reading it just add it to this post or do a search on this site.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can start adding other food items to the menu, my tegu nero stopped taking all insects at about 2 mo. i started giving her chicken gizzards, hearts, breast, telapia, beef kidneys and other foods in addition to her rodents and turkey.

DMBizeau

I stop feeding crickets at around 6 months, I am really surprised he ate them for so long. I would switch him to a high protein diet of ground turkey or gizzards with calcium and cod liver oil with mice once a week to keep him healthy. Like reptastic said there are a bunch of different things that work for feeding that are also very affordable.

mguy

5 Year Member
He hibernated for 6 months so that could be a reason im not sure why he liked them for so long turkey gives him loose stool will he be able to digest it better as he gets older?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
how often are you giving him rodents? too much ground meat can cause the loose stool, trynto give him an extra mouse each week and see it helps the loose stool!

mguy

5 Year Member
i gave him rodents once a week now its twice a week how many a week do you feed?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When i had my tegus nero and gozar got 2 small rats 1-2x a wk, pyro and achilles would get 2 mice 2x a wk. when i get my 2 hatchlings ill do them the same as i did with the others, 3 pinky rats a wk until they get big enough for bigger rodents.

DMBizeau

try chicken gizzards instead of turkey and see if it helps. My tegus like them alot better anyway. Once or maybe twice a week for rodents is all you need.

Jer723

5 Year Member
I know some people might not agree but I actually feed my tegu mice every other day, i have had no impaction problems, on the other days i mix it up with liver, eggs, turkey, and insects along with fruit occasionally, this diet has worked very well for me, and its the most energetic shes ever been and she seems to be happy.

Jerry

fireimp141

Tyson doesn't have a schedule. He gets such a mix of everything and I just started a dubai colony. Hes eating medium rats right now with shrimp crab talapia and salmon filets. He loooooves seafood, just makes the fecal stinky lol. Hell eat any fruits though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu