• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu eating a mouse

Joey

5 Year Member
This video is my tegu eating a mouse... I did not know he was capable of this lmao

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=VeY1VV4rSyc">http://youtube.com/watch?v=VeY1VV4rSyc</a><!-- m -->

(sorry for the explicit language my dumb friend)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I have no problem with live feeding, as I am one who does this as well, but I couldn't see that video clearly, so I couldn't judge his size, but if you want to feed live, make sure the mouse is one step down from what it looks like what they could comfortably eat.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is there a reason you feed live? I do not feed live unless it is a very picky eating snake. Tegus will eat them PK or FT, dead rodents don't bite, also live prey often times make the tegus feeding response much higher.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I am only starting to feed live. I do my best to give Apollo and Venus a near natural environment. I feed them live fish in a little pond, live worms, live crawfish, live roaches, so I only find it fair to feed them live mice. I get to see their instincts come out. My only issue that too many people feed live to animals without a serious care for their animals. If the animal doesn't eat the mouse right away, I remove it. The mouse is always slightly smaller. I have spent countless hours with my tegus, showing them that my interaction is not dangerous, nor food related.

Let me be perfectly clear. I do not condone live feeding. people get lazy and their animals get hurt. Also some people seem to think that it's a fight to watch. That really frustrates me to no end. Live feeding is not for normal keepers and does make your tegu less of a tame animal. If you want a cuddle-bug tegu, this is the wrong thinking. I think pk'd food is better for all. I don't want to justify my reasons too much because I don't want anyone to follow suit. Apollo and Venus are in perfect condition. All toes and not a scratch.

Joey

5 Year Member
I know The video quality was great and bright but when I uploaded to youtube it got darker

I feed him whatever I can get him. I just never really seen him eat and kill a medium sized live mouse so I wanted to see what it was like

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used to feed my reptiles live, but I now only feed pk'ed. I know that under the proper sueprvision, it can be ok for ceratain animals of certain sizes, but why take the risk? Also, buying them frozen eliminates many health risks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus