• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu hates hands, what can I do?

Kijkijpi

My 1 year old male tegu, has within the past month become extremely territorial and easily agitated (guberty I suppose), but also has come into the habit of biting hands, constantly, it has gotten to the point where he bites them every single time he sees them, he does not attempt to bite any other part of the body, He is fed inside his enclosure, on a plate, before he wakes up, so he should not be associating my hands with food at all, his basking spots are 125, 120, and 115, ambient temp of 80, 70% humidity, full UVB, and he is in an 8x4x6 enclosure.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I haven't heard of a Tegu consistently biting hands, but I believe you. The guberty period can really be hell sometimes, and I equate it with child birth. There are no two Tegu guberty's that are alike. Similarities yes, but honestly - after listening to others' guberty issues - nothing surprises me.

One thing to think about - your basking temps are for adult Tegus. He might be trying to tell you something. They are smart animals that definitely communicate with you. It sounds a little hot in there to me. I'd reduce it for about the next year to no hotter than 115 dg. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

ToadHallBetty

Is it possible you handled something that smells like food? Tonks, my hybred female, will go after toes if she's hungry.(I swear I have never fed her any toes or off my toes...) I guess they just look tasty?

Do you always get him out when he sees your hands? Maybe you could get him out and then put him down by a dish of food, get him to associate coming out with eating.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980