• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu Puked Up a Rock! UPDATE: Tegu is okay and eating

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Goodness, the tegu puked up a rock today while he was out. I don't know where he got it from because we took the rocks out over a week ago unless it was lodged in him the whole time. He's so small though. I hope he's okay and that there's no internal damage. I saw him try to eat one a week or two ago and that's why I took them out to begin with.

:jadr

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Whoa...close call. Lets hope that was the only one! I would suggest only using rocks much bigger then your tegus head. I find one of my tegus Alice is often trying to eat rocks, maybe there just curious because Alice is still rather young.

Spencer

ashesc212

5 Year Member
PinkPunisher said:
Whoa...close call. Lets hope that was the only one! I would suggest only using rocks much bigger then your tegus head. I find one of my tegus Alice is often trying to eat rocks, maybe there just curious because Alice is still rather young.

Spencer

Yeah, I was thinking that there is a possibility that he swallowed more. The thing is that I'm not using any rocks right now.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Okay - this is weird...the tegu was running around like crazy but when he sits still his toes start twitching...do you think this is related to the rock? What should I do?[/quote]

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Where was he hiding that rock??!! Has he been eating good since you took out the rocks?? If he's been eating good (and they eat alot!) he must have eaten it in the past day or 2. They have fairly high metabolism and the food goes through them quickly.

What are you using for UVB and how close is it from the substrate? I've been using a MVB for heat & UVB, I figure they need the extra UVB while they're rapidly growing. But I'd think a ReptiSun 10 in a 20G would be fine.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Where was he hiding that rock??!! Has he been eating good since you took out the rocks?? If he's been eating good (and they eat alot!) he must have eaten it in the past day or 2. They have fairly high metabolism and the food goes through them quickly.

What are you using for UVB and how close is it from the substrate? I've been using a MVB for heat & UVB, I figure they need the extra UVB while they're rapidly growing. But I'd think a ReptiSun 10 in a 20G would be fine.

He has been eating good for the past two weeks so I never would have suspected that he had a rock in him.

Last night, when I noticed the twitching I took him out for a while and he fell asleep near me. It seemed the twitching stopped but I'm not positive. I don't know if he had been upset by something or not.

I'm still using the Reptiglo 10 in the 20L. He has a little basking rock with steps that lets him get within 7 inches of the UVB. I'm using a 75w basking light which gets to about 105 degrees.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
I'm still using the Reptiglo 10 in the 20L. He has a little basking rock with steps that lets him get within 7 inches of the UVB. I'm using a 75w basking light which gets to about 105 degrees.
It sounds like you're doing a great job!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
ashesc212 said:
It sounds like you're doing a great job!!

Thanks, he certainly gave me a scare though. He still looks like he's not twitching.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:

Okay, so he was eating really well when the rock was in him but he hasn't eaten any meal since. I'm starting to get worried. I saw him eat a tiny bit of raspberry and that's it.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
He hasn't eaten any crickets?

Ever since he started eating turkey he doesn't seem to like crickets anyway. He usually ignores them and eats the turkey. However, he hasn't eaten the turkey either.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Turkey is a supplement, not a staple. He should be eating crickets too. The crickets running around should stimulate his appetite to chase them.

Have you tried a pinkie mouse yet? Just curious. I still haven't (keep forgetting).

When was the last time he got a nice warm (95Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?°) bath?

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Turkey is a supplement, not a staple. He should be eating crickets too. The crickets running around should stimulate his appetite to chase them.

Have you tried a pinkie mouse yet? Just curious. I still haven't (keep forgetting).

When was the last time he got a nice warm (95Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?°) bath?

I give him baths every other day. He won't eat the crickets I put in the cage. I did take him out a few minutes ago and (I know this is a bad habit but I'm desperate to get him to eat) I got him to eat crickets out of my hand *sigh*...

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I haven't tried the pinkies either because we only have large pinkies in the house. He's probably still too small for those, no?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu