• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my tegu wont eat

my columbian tegu wont eat anything but raw egg. ive tried ground turkey, chicken, chicken hearts, mice and even tuna. she ate one mouse the first week i had her and after that she stopped eating for a week until i gave her raw egg. and now thats all shell eat. ive tried crickets to. i forced it in her mouth with tweasers and she just spit it out. does anyone have any tipss on how to get her to eat other things?

my temps during day is almost 100 on hot side during day and 75 on cool side. at night it doesnt drop below 70. humidity stay anywhere from 40 to 80 percent. she has eco earth and jungle mix mixed together because i had a hard time with humidity at first. she even has a little pond with a waterfall. shes in a 40 gallon tank right now. ive done everything from not feeding her for days to mixing things into the egg

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Is almost 100 your ambient (air temp) or your basking temp? and how are you measuring? If you arent using a digital probe on the basking surface or a temp gun then you are not getting an accurate temp. Your basking temp is the surface of whatever the animal is on. whether it be a log, flat rock etc. and it should be 115-120f degrees. Colombians are closer to the equator and are less-cold tolerate so its best not to let the nighttime temps drop below 80. They tend to get stuck on the eggs and with proper heating the only way to break them of that habit is to slowly transition them off of it and dont offer it again. So keep trying to mix tihngs into the egg or drizzle egg yolk over other food items.

i have a digital probe right under where here basking is on the ground its 100 on her basking rock is about 118. like i said at night its drops to mid to low 70s. thats what ive been doing and it seems to get her attention but most the time shell suck up the egg yolk and wont eat the rest of it. i found a vet who specializes in tegus finally and plan on bringing her this friday when i get paid to make sure its not something internal, everything youve suggested ive been trying. thankyou for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan