• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nationwide shortage!!! Anyone know any mealworm breeders

Nero

5 Year Member
Hey guys, not sure if you all know this but there is a nationwide shortage of mealworms. Does anyone know of any breeders that selling mealworms. My Leopard gecko has gone almost a week without any meal worms and hardly eats crickets. Does anyone have any ideas???

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I need superworms, and my local store has been out for days! They're also out of small mice, and my poor tegu along with my Alligator Lizard need to eat.

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah it really sucks. All the other worms that are available are just too big for my gecko last time this happened,I gave him worms that were too big he pucked it back up. Man this is depressing me bad.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I use this guy. He usually always has them. Premium Crickets is a good supplier. He is located in Georgia.He would be a good one to buy from. I hope this helps.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Superworms are fairly easy to breed (I would actually suggest breeding your own and raising your own). I am not too sure about meal worms but I imagine they can be just as easy. There are some good articles on breeding them and you do get a lot of babies from them. Raising your own you will beable to supply them with a healthier diet for your herps. Mealworms really arent a feeder herps need unless its an animal that is hooked on them or stuff like knight anoles where it helps get them eating. Sometimes I get some though just for the hell of it but only superworms. There's a lot of debate about Mealworms/Superworms and their shell content (chittin?).

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member
Also, if you are referring to local shops being out of mealworms/superworms. It could very well be heat related. Here in AZ a lot of our shipments of stuff dies and you get like soggy black superworms or dead mealworms from the heat. Really sucks.

-Jon DeLong

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
Also, if you are referring to local shops being out of mealworms/superworms. It could very well be heat related. Here in AZ a lot of our shipments of stuff dies and you get like soggy black superworms or dead mealworms from the heat. Really sucks.

-Jon DeLong
That happens to me in the summer. That's why I raise my own feeders.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Premium Crickets offers cold packs to go with the shipments. You have to pay for them but they work .If the driver isn't a total Dill Hole.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I noticed that the people who noticed this trend are on the west cost. There is a sickness going through some of the meal worm colonies that killed off the bettles so they are trying to recover from this. I havent had a problem getting them from the east cost and i use NYworms without a problem.

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah theres like no meal worms on the west coast Im located in Nevada its like scare. If you know the breeders please send me that link or number to call. I've called so many none are taking new accounts or recent orders. My gecko is so picky he will not eat crickets maybe one or 2 every 3 or 4 days. I've triedother things but they are just too big and hes starting to lose weight. Like i said before this is vert depressing.

Nero

5 Year Member
I actually get lucky with my cricket suppliers that send to me I just do overnight shipping once a week and maybe like 50 die at the most, but they have no supply either the told me they wont have any until Aug.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980