• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need a cage fast

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
So its almost summer which means those tegus will be hatching real soon but I have a dilema...My 40 breeder cage cracked! Man i am so angry :evil: !!! I really dont want to but another one because they cost around 100 dollars where I live. Is there anyway I can do a decent begginer cage without spending alot of money? I was thinking of buying a large rubbermaid container and putting screen at the top. What do you all think?

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Try and get a clear rubbermaid or even buy the largest one you can find (in my case they are 4'x2'x2') also buy a 3'x1'x1' piece of plexiglass and about 1-2 dozen nuts and bolts. Then cut one of the sides of the rubbermaid to slightly under 3'x1'x1' then drill some holes all the way through the plexi and the rubbermaid and put some smalls bolts in, place them with the nut facing the outside of the cage (make sure to buy zinc coated or stainless steel bolts so they don't rust out.)

It may not be the prettiest but it will work like a charm and only cost you around $50 depending on where you live. It is also better to just make this so the tegu can stay inside this longer.)

But like Dave said, they aren't hatching for a while.

Spencer

BSM

5 Year Member
m no builder and i know that you can build a cage similar to a 40 gallon for way under 100 plus these cage wont be letting out heat and humidity as the glass tank.

how big of a cage you want?

heres a list of what you need and then just go from there if you want bigger
8x10 of vinyl flooring $26 most expensive thing (it will cost you the same as getting just tiles so you will have extra when you need to make a larger cage in the future
say you want a 4x2x2
wood
2inx4inx8ft for supports for inside cage as well as to keep it off the floor outside $2 each (you will need at least 3) get cut in half

ply wood all you need is one 8x4x4 and get it cut into (4) 4x2 $10
or
compressed wood due same thing as with ply $5 to $8
but your still going to need the 2 sides (2x2)

measuring tape
cork gun $5
silicon (1) $2
stables
screw gun
hinges
screws

This is all you have to due
1..cut the vinyl into 4x2 sheets then stable them down on the wood
2.. screw 4x2s on the wood that you already put vinyl on
3.. cut some of the 2in by 4in wood till it can fit upwards in the corners then screw it in.
4.. screw back, sides, on the piece with the wood attached (keep top and front open for now)
5.. cut a little line on top of cage so you can pull the wire for the light in it and then place the light where you want.
6. put on top
7.. silicon all sides/edges
8. front put hinges on the end then just screw in the other side so you know the animal wont get out.
9. leave the cage wide open for a couple of hours before you put in everything, so the fumes get out. Best to wait overnight though..

Thats basically it on what you need to due but the prices wont be the same most likely as i had all of these things i needed except the wood and vinyl. Also if you want a window that will be a little more.. All my cages are bigger so the only windows i have are a little bigger then 2x3..
just go from their then adjust it on the way if you like

Bryan

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
thanks you guys so much and I know they won't be here for 6 months but i've been waiting since last june and now that the time is so close im real excited. Thanks again guys for the response I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have a lil black and white real soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan