• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need advice for lightingheating new enclosure

Schnab

5 Year Member
I just got back from Home Depot today with the wood I'm gonna need for DIno's new home. I only have room for a 6 x 2 x 1'n half enclosure and I was wondering if it's too low to put the lighting on the inside. I would'nt want to risk him burning him self on a heat lamp. If that would be the case, my other option would be to use fluorescent lights, and use heat pads as source of heat. I also plan on having tile flooring. But where would I put the heat pads? The wood I'm using is maple.

Thanks

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
thats a bit small first off, second off i wouldnt recommend heating pads. Why can you only build it 1.5 tall? 2 feet wide is barely even half the tegus length if even at all, they should be able to fully turn around in their cage when fully grown. Id recommend finding a bigger area to house him before you build a cage that is way too small, just my advice.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
thats not a terrible size! get a tape measure!! it would depend on the size of the tegu. although it shouldn't be for the remainder of its life

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
well no its not terrible, i was just saying for a fully grown tegu, if your building a cage now you misewell build one 2 feet wider and 2 feet taller instead of building another one a few months down the road, 7x3x3 is good and 8x4x4 is good which is what im almost done building. But onto the main subject of heating, for a big cage im using a 160w reptisun for the basking spot and a 4ft flourescent for UV on the other part of the cage, i also have my 100w reptisun from my smaller cage that i might use as well. I like reptisun and id say 160w for your cage then again 1.5ft tall might be too short for a 160w, they get pretty hot

Schnab

5 Year Member
I'm sorry but that's the best I can do for now. Until he needs a bigger enclosure, it'll do. Well, if he turns out to be a male, then it's certain I'd need a bigger cage and keep the one I'm building right now for the snakes. And besides, the woods all ready cut and paid for.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
well no its not terrible, i was just saying for a fully grown tegu, if your building a cage now you misewell build one 2 feet wider and 2 feet taller instead of building another one a few months down the road, 7x3x3 is good and 8x4x4 is good which is what im almost done building. But onto the main subject of heating, for a big cage im using a 160w reptisun for the basking spot and a 4ft flourescent for UV on the other part of the cage, i also have my 100w reptisun from my smaller cage that i might use as well. I like reptisun and id say 160w for your cage then again 1.5ft tall might be too short for a 160w, they get pretty hot
what we all need to do is buy a house with one xtra bedroom!!or 2 haha
peace

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan