• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need all sorts of help...

Cccp94

So, it is my understanding that July tends to be the time that most breeders' stock replenishes, so I need to have an enclosure built in time for my purchase of my first tegu.

I have browsed through most of this section, and at this point I think I am probably overwhelmed by the variety of enclosures and the incredible quality of some enclosures.

Basically, I am hoping someone could help me with planning an enclosure for my tegu. I know it is best to be 8'x4'x4', which means it will be in my basement. I live in Western Canada, but my house temperature stays mostly constant throughout the year, so I don't anticipate the cold climate being too problematic. That being said, the basement will be an issue due to the size of the enclosure. As such, I will need to design and build something that I can transport in pieces.

The frame should be simple enough to build, I just need suggestions for wood, and details on how I should treat the wood to hold moisture and provide quality insulation.

Beyond that, I am not sure how best to maintain humidity, how to provide ventilation, and some of the more technical aspects.

Any hints, suggestions, blueprints, how-to guides, etc would be extremely welcome. I want my tegu to have an enclosure that I basically need to build only once for its entire lifetime, but able to be moved without too much hassle if I move.

Thanks everyone, if anybody needs more details or has suggestions about things I haven't even thought of or didn't mention, I will be checking back on this thread at least a few times a day. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Justin

5 Year Member
3/4" plywood is recommended
roof and floor framing should be 2x4 lumber and for vertical framing I used 2x2 lumber
use 3" wood screws for fastening 2x4s together and 1.5" wood screws for fastening lumber to plywood. You will then need to seal the inside of the enclosure I used Drylok Extreme then use a caulk suitable for kitchen use to seal the wood joints.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.