• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need Help With New Tegu

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
Hello, Im buying a Argentine blk&White tegu in the next two weeks. Im buying from teguterra.The little fella was born at the end of September and Johnny said that he was around 12inchs long and is hibernating. My question is, after he ships him to me, will he go right back to hibernating or be awake? Is there anything that I can do to "encourage" him to go back to hibernating? Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. This is my first tegu and I don't want to do something wrong. Thanks.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Hey, welcome to tegutalk!

Im not sure but he will probably go back into hibernation. You can't really encourage him to come out. He will come out when he's good and ready.

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome!

I ment encourage him to go back into hibernation after I get him. I would actually like him to hibernate.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
You can't encourage them to hibernate, they will do so on their own. They will start to refuse food and you will see them less and less out in the daytime. Keep the lights on cycle during the day and the misting. When you haven't seen him for a about a week (if he chooses to hibernate) then you can keep the lights off. Misting should still be regular but don't over do it. With less heat from the lights, the mist will collect and make the bottom of the substrate too moist and make it moldy. You won't need heat either. The tank shouldn't get less than 60Ã?â??Ã?°F in your house so if that's the case, no extra heat is required. If it does, you can cover it with a blanket or just supplement with heat so it stays above 60Ã?â??Ã?°F. Any other questions, just reply to this post and I'll be sure to reply. Welcome to TeguTalk and good luck with your new member.

-CHEERS
;-)

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
sclevenger08 said:
Thanks so much for the information. Im hoping that I don't screw anything up. Thanks for the welcome.

Not a problem!

One more thing I would like to stress. Don't underestimate the abilities of this animal on escaping!!! They will get out if you don't have a secure lid. Even through a hole in the center of the roof. That's how mine got out. She must've stood on her tail because she got out with nothing to grab onto. So keep it secure and keep curious cats away. One member on here's hatchling was killed by their cat not too long ago. Once the Tegu is grown, I'm sure it'll be the other way around! Cats look out!

-CHeers!

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
Yes, I've heard they are little escape artist. Its got me slightly nervous. My cornsnake got out, even though the tank had locks on it and we haven't seen him since. I def. don't want a repeat. As far as cats go, my sister as a pesky cat that just loves my reptiles, he's always setting ontop of the tanks and watching them. Its cute, but I would never want him to get ahold of one.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
sclevenger08 said:
Yes, I've heard they are little escape artist. Its got me slightly nervous. My cornsnake got out, even though the tank had locks on it and we haven't seen him since. I def. don't want a repeat. As far as cats go, my sister as a pesky cat that just loves my reptiles, he's always setting ontop of the tanks and watching them. Its cute, but I would never want him to get ahold of one.

One tip that I use (and only because I' have plenty lying around) are free weights set on the corners of the lid. I use the 5lb circular weights that go on bench presses and whatnot. My Tegu is still less than a year old and barely grew any before she started hibernating. I know for sure she won't lift up on those way up on the roof of her cage. These are only temporary until I build her large enclosure where it'll have front opening doors with locks but I'm sure I won't be worried when she's full grown and my home is Tegu safe for her to roam free when I'm around.

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
sclevenger08 said:

One tip that I use (and only because I' have plenty lying around) are free weights set on the corners of the lid. I use the 5lb circular weights that go on bench presses and whatnot. My Tegu is still less than a year old and barely grew any before she started hibernating. I know for sure she won't lift up on those way up on the roof of her cage. These are only temporary until I build her large enclosure where it'll have front opening doors with locks but I'm sure I won't be worried when she's full grown and my home is Tegu safe for her to roam free when I'm around.

My brother as some weights, I'll have to see if he'll let me borrow them and I'll try that. Ya, Im hoping to have mines permenant enclosure done by this summer, which Im totally freaking out about, wondering how to do everything correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029