• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need info

Darkangel92

5 Year Member
Im new to tegu's and I heard the blues are the smallest. I'd get a bigger one but my mother wont let me :(. I also know they are the most expensive. What is the cheapest i would be able to get one. Also can anyone recomend another tegu that only gets 3'-4'.

Thanks,
Sara

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Female tegus usualy dont pass 4 feet, hope that helps :)
columbians stay pretty small, but are often said to be harder to tame/more agressive.

Beasty

5 Year Member
I have seen blues go for anywhere from $150 shipped for a 75% blue/25% red hybrid to $600 for a 100% het for albino but they commonly go for $250-$300 + shipping which is usually $50 so, IF you can find one, they are around $300-350 delivered to the house. Not unlike dogs, the parent's attitude has much to do with the baby's disposition. Also, if the first thing they see is each other and a human and are handled regularly from day one, any "Argentine" type tegu should be an awesome pet.
My little blue was handled regularly from birth and it is just an awesome critter!
awake.jpg

Hmm... I'm thinking if someone were to start breeding "runt" B&W tegus for size, color and temperament they'd have a decent niche in the market. Lots of folks like 'em but just don't have room for a mammoth enclosure and feeding bill to boot.

Chuey

5 Year Member
Hey Sara,
Factor in what it will take to build or buy a 7 or 8 foot cage for the Tegu is well. Your choice should be when you are able to financially do it. I just spent about 700 bucks buying and getting a cage shipped from BoaMaster for me and my GF's blue tegu.

But think about the overall cost before you buy one as they live a really long time. The upfront cost between a a columbian, argentine and other types of Tegus doesn't matter nearly as much as the regular everyday care costs + occasional visit to the vet. I'm just thinking about the best interest of the animal. They are pretty sweet and loving creatures but not for the faint of heart they need really big enclosures. Ours right now is about 33" and we already bought him the big boy cage.

A similar example are those green iguanas, they get abandoned all the time because they grow too big for the owners to keep.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
Hmm... I'm thinking if someone were to start breeding "runt" B&W tegus for size, color and temperament they'd have a decent niche in the market.
I've got an adult 26" female Blue. She's a little beeetch, but she's a high white! I don't think she was handled at all in her previous years and obviously wasn't fed much, I doubt her size is genetic. Our full size adult female Blue has more of a neutral personality. The little one looks like she's got follicles in her. But she's much smaller than our 42" male Blue, he could rip her up. He's got a great temperament. We'll decide this summer if we're going to breed her, it's a tough call.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029