• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need some taming & hibernation tips!

Aranha

5 Year Member
Hiya guys!

Taming:
I got a 20-22 inch (pretty acurate guess) b&w tegu. The sex is still unknown but im gonna give it a check tommorow. Ive been having some problems taming the little fellow. Hes pretty curius and often comes and smells me when i work in the enclouser and hes never even had the intension of ever harming me but i feel that i cant really build that vital trust with him. Anytime when he senses that dinner is on his way or just after i can pet him without him even caring and hes not that food agressive either. But anytime i try to pick him up or like touch him in a situation when he knows theres not gonna be any food he just walks away. I tried the Varnyard "Taming the beast" techniqe but my enclouser is 160x100x70 cm so i cant really get a hold of im when he walks away. I also tried the old bonding thing when you just release him in a small room and let him inspect you. But as soon as hes out of his enclouser its like he panics!

Hibernation:
The little guy sleeps alot aswell. Ive tried lowering the temp and turning off the lights but after a day or two hes out wandering around in the enclosure again and sometimes he just sleeps away a whole day. Not really sure what he wants. I got like 3 pretty big pieces of dried wood (removed one today) which he has been nesting in and dug a pretty deep whole which he resides in alot.

Basking/Baths:
I also wounder why my tegu seems to hate water? Had him for like 4 months now and hes never taking a bath at his own will (In other words falling into the water by misstake ;D). Ive seen alot of tegus that love to just bask in the water but mine never does that. I got a kitty litter box with water and shaped rocks so he can easily climb in and out of it (its not really that big or deep).

Hope i can get some tips or awnsers :)

Thanks!

//Aranha & Kompis

COWHER

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816</a><!-- m --> I would Just keep up bobbys methods and be patient. Also something that I did is where a shirt and a sweatshirt over that then let your tegu crawl inbetween them and use for there hide that way he'll feel safe outside the cage and that safety is being directly associated with your sound smell and movement.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21</a><!-- m -->

This will help you with the taming, and I will try to get the hibernation information up on the site tomorrow. ;)

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
I also have tried all the previous mentioned three taming methods for my baby red. They really did not work for me either. What I do now is go in the cage pretty slowly get a grasp of him take him out and just hold him from anywhere to a half hour to an hour. Ive been doing this for a week and it really does seems to be working. Not to step on anyones toes but my red is growing at a pretty fast rate (4months old and he/she is at almost 23inches) so I don't really have the time to be patient. The breeder told me they mature through there size not there age.

Aranha

5 Year Member
Hehe dont worry you got plenty of time to get him tame ^^. Mine is about the same size and and im just trying to tame the little fellow but it takes time and patience!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
I also have tried all the previous mentioned three taming methods for my baby red. They really did not work for me either. What I do now is go in the cage pretty slowly get a grasp of him take him out and just hold him from anywhere to a half hour to an hour. Ive been doing this for a week and it really does seems to be working. Not to step on anyones toes but my red is growing at a pretty fast rate (4months old and he/she is at almost 23inches) so I don't really have the time to be patient. The breeder told me they mature through there size not there age.

You have tried three taming methods already and your tegu is four months old? Now you are on your fourth training method? How long have you had this tegu? I know you say he is four months old, but how long have you had him and tried all four of these training methods? Sounds like your looking for instant pudding.

I can also see, you sure don't have time to be patient. You also will not have a tegu that trusts you when you are done. You got your tegu on the 18th of November, don't you think you might be rushing him a bit? You have only had him two months today.

As for the breeder that told you they mature with size and not age, well that means my yearlings that often reach 40 inches or more can breed at one year old. No, they cannot, I do not know who your breeder is, but making comments like that are false.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aranha, let me know if this helps with the hibernation questions.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11056#11056">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1056#11056</a><!-- m -->

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with Bobby. I found that having a routine and sticking to it really helped with getting my guy to calm down. All animals are different and their personalities can vary so it may take longer for other people to see the effects they desire. Just be patient (lol however long it takes!!!!) and stick to a method you like.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
Like I said he is getting to big and my method is showing some headway, I dont know why you of all people is taking offense, you should be happy another tegu somewhere ius getting tamed.

dorton

5 Year Member
I say if it works for you, thats great. But just be careful. Patience is a virtue, some things just take time. When I first got my little guy, he acted nervous, so I let him settle in for right at a month before I tried handling. Then I used Bobbys methods and as of the beginning of brumation he was just as laid back as could have been. But, it just takes time, don't rush anything.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
Like I said he is getting to big and my method is showing some headway, I dont know why you of all people is taking offense, you should be happy another tegu somewhere ius getting tamed.

Who took offense? It looks to me like everyone was trying to support you. I am glad your getting some progress, but why say your tegu is getting too big? That's kind of the idea of getting one in the first place. :igu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me