• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New adult tegus

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
They're very clean animals in general - they wipe almost every time after eating, like Walter1 said. Best routine is to wash after cleaning out their homes or holding them, or dealing with their excrement.

One thing I'd suggest (even though I wasn't asked my opinion....;)) I would never disrupt their brumation. This is a natural occurrence and it's healthy for them. Also - my tegus actually scrape their mouths on a rock, they don't scratch with their foot when cleaning up after themselves. So - unless their shedding, (that's when I see them scratch with their feet), I'd have it checked out like Walter1 suggested. Sometimes they scratch with their foot even before it's obvious they're shedding. So - not unusual behavior, but I don't see it daily, or even weekly.

Roxy

They're very clean animals in general - they wipe almost every time after eating, like Walter1 said. Best routine is to wash after cleaning out their homes or holding them, or dealing with their excrement.

One thing I'd suggest (even though I wasn't asked my opinion....;)) I would never disrupt their brumation. This is a natural occurrence and it's healthy for them. Also - my tegus actually scrape their mouths on a rock, they don't scratch with their foot when cleaning up after themselves. So - unless their shedding, (that's when I see them scratch with their feet), I'd have it checked out like Walter1 suggested. Sometimes they scratch with their foot even before it's obvious they're shedding. So - not unusual behavior, but I don't see it daily, or even weekly.
Makes sense he just finished shedding and it is only when he eats. Thank guys.

Mamasaurus

I make sure mine has water at all times and I will put food in once a week and peek at him but tbh other than the occassional bask and sip of water he just burrows and sleeps for 6-7 months even if I don't adjust his lights or temps. They have an amazing internal clock. My beardie does too but for much less time. I'd take them out when they're out but leave them in their hide. It's their safe space and going in it scares them. I know it's hard to be patient. Mine came in February and wanted nothing to do with me until March/April lol

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I make sure mine has water at all times and I will put food in once a week and peek at him but tbh other than the occassional bask and sip of water he just burrows and sleeps for 6-7 months even if I don't adjust his lights or temps. They have an amazing internal clock. My beardie does too but for much less time. I'd take them out when they're out but leave them in their hide. It's their safe space and going in it scares them. I know it's hard to be patient. Mine came in February and wanted nothing to do with me until March/April lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced