• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New at Tegu-ing

Zyn

Just sounds like brumation best to turn off his light and leave him alone till he wakes up

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're so welcome for the support! I think you came to the right place! The members here are very careful, caring, and try to give their best advice. They definitely got me through some rough things when I first started 3 years ago.

If he's that inactive - don't worry much. Best thing for him to do right now is brumate. If he's that hungry, he'll come toward the glass, and start shuffling around a lot more. My male is still trying to decide is he's actually going to go down for brumation. He keeps wanting out - like today when I took him into my kitchen, he tromped around for about 2 hours, wouldn't eat more than 2 pieces of salmon, and turned his nose up at the mouse. When brumation is happening, they slow down their diet quite significantly, and while it seems like he wants to eat, he just doesn't.

Limbo Linda

Oh, thank you. That addressed some of my concerns! I can't believe he turned down the mouse!!

Guess what!!.....it appears mine ate his first raw egg yesterday! I say "appears" because I didn't actually see him do it. But the yolk was smeared all over the dish. Some egg white was still remaining but, for the most part, the yolk was gone. So, I don't know what's going on. He doesn't bury himself in his bark. He loves his log. He is always curled up inside of it and turns around, back and forth, all day. But, he is always sleeping. He really has me puzzled.

Espg714

I am a newbie, newbie.....Never in my wildest dreams did I ever plan to have possession of a black and white Argentine Tegu. I soooo do not know what I am doing. He (or she??) belongs to my 14 year old Grandson. A recent divorce turned everything upside down and, somehow, grandma got the Tegu. I'm only caring for him until the dust settles and he can go back to my grandson - which could be several months away. Right now, I manage to feed him stew beef, with a pair of tongs, and I have learned that he likes grapes, but he hates strawberries and peaches. My grandson used to take him out of his habitat and handle him. This is something granny can NOT do!! The thought of reaching in and touching him, let alone getting him out of his habitat, is beyond what I can do at this point. Is that harmful to them? I know they are supposed to be very social creatures and should be handled often. I'm good with his food and water, but that's the end of my care at this point. He lunged at me when I reached in for his water bowl. Do they bite?? This site has been a life saver for me. Thank you all for the helpful, much needed information.
Also new. Just found this site. After having a savannah once upon a time raised and had a dog. Im awaiting an arrival today of a black and whit hatchling.
Excited to go back into reptile world.

Espg714

I mean if he’s an adult crickets won’t do much, and as an adult he can handle small thawed rats whole prey is an important part of their diet. That aside he sounds like brumation. It may be a little warm if he won’t go all the way under. My tegu burrows down about 6 inches and is completely covered by his substrate and hide and I don’t see her again for 2-3 months. Lights off heat off and in my garage she stays in the mid to low 50s.
I just joined here. Expecting hatchling any moment. That is some great info. Very interesting. During this time do you keep the enclosure damp?
I have a sun porch im going to house built off the house with heat and it gets cool in there during the winter and I though I would have to move it. Looks like it might be perfect for brumation time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602