• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Enclosure!

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
I've finally gotten the tank all set. All I need to do is buy a red night time bulb for some added heat. I decided to make my lighting mostly custom because of how much the temps change in my house from day to day. Usually when I work 7-7 my AC is turned off in the morning. Since my room is upstairs, in a cape, it gets really hot. That means that the enclosure may be too hot for the tegu. I have my basking light on a dimmer switch with a 90 watt bulb. I also have the UVB light on the same switch. I can dim it down to nothing and the UVB stays on until the dimmer is clicked off. The night light is on a seperate switch.

Well, here's pictures. There will be another hide, and this dishes in there were both going to be for water, but I'm just going to find a nice 4x8 shallow dish for him, instead. Also, the blue looking bulb is going to be the night time bulb, I just need to buy a new one, haha.

2ni15if.jpg

16l04sm.jpg

2qv7deb.jpg

316p69y.jpg

Anyone see anything wrong with this setup? I hope it'll be good for a couple months anyway. It's ashame he wont use up any vertical space, but It'll work for now.

Enjoy,
Nick

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
only prob i see is that maybe their isn't enough floor space to set up a proper gradient from the hot to cool sides and your uvb tube is possibly too high up.

i don't know your temps, but if the tank seems to be overheating ambient-wise you could use a lower wattage bulb and move it down twards the ground more.

that kinda screws up the cool lid you made though.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Well in a small tank like that, theres really no way to get a tempiture gradiant. with my 8' long enclosure theres only a 4-5 degree difference, despite my best efforts to make it more.

Other than that, which was a good point on kharnifex's comment, Nice Background and electrical work.

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
Well the flood light actualy seems to be directing the temp to that slab of slate. I dimmed my light down, the temp was 130, it's now down to about 108*F on the slate. I'm now taking readings of the right side of the tank, it's down at about 80 now, but I only just put it over to that side. I hope it gets a bit cooler!

Thanks for the comments so far,
Nick

Alek

5 Year Member
Here is mine at thetegu.com

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thetegu.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=406&pos=0">http://thetegu.com/modules.php?name=cop ... =406&pos=0</a><!-- m -->

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looks cool Nick, but as earlier stated, you might want to check the distance on that UVB. I don't know if they all have it on the box but the one I bought said no more than 12 inches from the animal(or they won't benefit from the uvb). Good luck!

John