• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new giant tegu

armison89

im getting my first tegu from bobby next week. she was hibernating a week ago untill bobby woke her up to check on her when i said i wanted her. im goin to let her go back into hibernation if she wants to but i dont know what i should and shouldnt do after i get her from bobby till she goes back into hibernation.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As for your question, your best bet is to follow her lead. Make sure she's got a nice warm place to bask, clean water, good lighting and if she seems active enough(i.e. she's coming out to bask, digging/foraging around, etc) I'd offer a bit of food then go from there. If she just digs down and you don't see her for a few days, I'd lower the temps and only have the basking spot available for a couple hours a day. Good luck and congratulations on your new GU!

armison89

only problem is i dont have a uv light right now can i wait untill i know if she going to hibernate or not to get it. im getting a megaray bulb.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Since it is a definate requirement to get it eventually, you will be best off getting it sooner rather than later...

G

I don`t like His US mail shipping tho it works ... Mine came a day late but Darwin was fine .. I would go with Fed X..

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I' ve never had a problem with Bobby shipping via USPS. In fact, both times that Bobby's shipped to me, via the Post Office, the packages arrived a day EARLY.

armison89

he said he would mail it today but yesterday he said it was to close to christmas so he wont mail it till after christmas. makes me feel like he doesnt have a tegu for me.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's the busiest time of year for shipping so I can see where Bobby might want to wait until after Christmas to send your tegu. The increase in packages being shipped also increases chances of a delayed/lost tegu. I see it as a good opportunity for you to get your light and all other ducks in a row knowing your GU will be in good hands with Bobby until he feels confident enough to ship after the holiday rush.

G

He is right not to send your tegu in the MAIL this time of the year ... If I remember its his last one .. No way to replace ... Just be patient the critter may well just crawl under a rock like mine did weeks ago ...

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I really wouldn't worry--it's definitely for the best. Bobby's, hands-down, the most reliable reptile breeder I've dealt with in the last 18 years--if he says he has your tegu, he HAS your tegu.

I know that feeling, though--you REEEEEALLY want that tegu! Honestly, though, you're not missing much other than actually having the tegu in your possession. It's just going to dig under some substrate and hibernate for a while--you're probably not even going to see it for a couple months anyway (I got mine last week from Bobby and that's EXACTLY what's happened).

And, if you think about, there's NO BETTER PLACE for your tegu to be (other than your own possession) than with Bobby Hill.

All is good! Think about the long term...

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
If she's hibernating let her sleep...well you actually don't have much of a choice lol most gu's will even if you leave 12 hour cycles well all 3 of mine did lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980