• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Here!

Dawn0816

Hey guys! My name is Heather I've done a lot of research and am in the process of finding me a baby tegu, everybody seems to be sold out on the sites I've looked at [emoji20] but will still be looking an hopefully get my new baby soon!

marydd

Welcome! Breeding season is around the corner. Be patient. Are you looking for an Argentine? Let us know if you have questions.

BigJay8232

This my male blue "Denver"
uploadfromtaptalk1423341056451.jpg

BigJay8232

He was coming in to shed in this pic but once he's done shedding I'll be posting more pics of him on a seperate thread.

BigJay8232

Hatchling Blues run around $350. You'll start seeing the around June - July. Check with Ty Parks, HectorsHabitat and Brad Wilson at theBlueGu.com

BigJay8232

Columbians are cool and much cheaper because most are Wild Caught. They have a reputstion for being flighty but with proper care and handling I have seen them become quite tolerant of interaction.

Jackie & Hellboy

BigJay is right. Columbians are all wild caught more than likely as I don't know anyone who breeds them in the US, and if they were they would be around the same price as argentines I assume. I would recommend any of the argentines (black and white, red, or blue) over the Columbian especially for a first time tegu owner. The last thing you want is a lizard that eats more than a small dog that also wants nothing to do with you (unless you are pretty good at taming and are very patient with these guys) and still requires a cage around 8 foot long X 4 foot wide X 3-4 foot high. Most people sell them once they realize they aren't going to tame down to the owners liking. I hope your husband takes this into consideration.

BigJay8232

This is a "Highly Aggressive" male Columbian at my local Exotic pet store. I visit with him whenever I go in and he is a doll baby. However he has bitten several staff members, lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423689029921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423689029921.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 37

Jackie & Hellboy

I would still recommend a captive bred specimen for a first time tegu owner, meaning an argentine generally speaking. I wasn't implying that it can't be done with Colombians taming down but wil caughts require a lot of work usually and experience in reading body postures and certain signals helps.

BigJay8232

Oh I know Jackie, I didn't put that up to demean what you were saying at all as I generally agree. I just find it funny that that particular Columbian will allow my affection going as far as climbing in to my lap when I sit outside the cage but acts like a complete Spazz Wagon with the people he sees everyday.

Jackie & Hellboy

Haha oh I understand! That is awesome though you should buy the little guy ;) they are smarter than we think, I bet he even recognizes you visually, my tegu's are always more unsure of other people even when I am right beside them touching them they keep both eyes on my buddy or when my dad visits lol!

Dawn0816

Well I will keep everything into consideration and definitely be looking for one that is by a breeder I don't need anything wild caught in my house with my kiddos lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me