• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new hybrids coming soon...

krazyeyez

Ok, so today I received my male hybrid via fed ex from alldaytegus out of Rhode Island (thank you John). He arrived healthy and hearty. I made a small mistake in taking him to petsmart there after to pick out new hides and water dishes. Between the shipping and all the looky-loos getting to close, he got a little agitated... While cradling him in may arms, walking down some random aisle, he decided to bite down on my bicep.... OMFG, I have never felt such pain, and I've broken things... I put him back in his shipping sock for the remainder of our trip, after having to squeeze his jowls to get him to release.

I didn't want to introduce him and DRAZIL for a couple days, even before the bite. Well, I had to feed them both and get their outside time. So, I fed DRAZIL first as I have been told he is an agressive eater... And he is, lol. Then I brought him out, hr ate a larger medium rat (twice the size DRAZIL at), he git a good look at her and began to strut his stuff... Huffin', and flicking, dragging his goodies in the outdoor mulch bed. And after doing his little dance he tried to mount her, many times... U am keeping them separate as far as that goes for the time being as DRAZIL us still breaking loose a bad shed... But it was nice to see that he wasn't overly aggressive towards her. He didn't bite (her anyway), although he did open his mouth and pretend nip at her neck.

Needless to say, they got along wonderfully, and he is obviously DTF... So it looks like we should have a new bloodline of hybrids coming soon from two beautiful creatures of the same make up, 1/4 blue 1/4 red 1/2 b&w both het for albino. I can't wait... I will keep you guts posted as the project continues.

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I recognize that tegu, I think. Didn't Chris Allen have him at one point? Congrats on the new tegu!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you are right laura, i can tell by the scaring, thats the same male alexi had, as well as chris allen ect.

krazyeyez

Mmhmm, mmhmmm, yep yep yep yep yep... You brutal got it... I had tried to get him from alexi, but the bf fell off the planet just when we had a deal... Then the fella in Rhode island contacted me after receiving him and the other male in trade, explaining. That they didn't get along... It .took some.negotiating, but we worked out a deal and shipping arrangements... Outside of the huge scar I am gunna have, I am pretty happy.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I find it highly unlikely both hybrids are 100% het for albino. That would mean both of them were produced by an albino parent. This is exactly what I refer to about gene pools being muddled by hybridization. The chances of these actually being het albino are extremely small considering the low amount of albinos in collections and the fact that most wouldn't cross an albino with a red or black and white. I'm also not entirely sure that the albino gene could carry over through hybridization. Also, from what I read about the male in the for sale ad he was a red and blue hybrid not 1/4 red 1/4 blue and 1/2 b&w as I believe you stated at the end of your original post.

krazyeyez

TegusRawsome80 said:
I find it highly unlikely both hybrids are 100% het for albino. That would mean both of them were produced by an albino parent. This is exactly what I refer to about gene pools being muddled by hybridization. The chances of these actually being het albino are extremely small considering the low amount of albinos in collections and the fact that most wouldn't cross an albino with a red or black and white. I'm also not entirely sure that the albino gene could carry over through hybridization. Also, from what I read about the male in the for sale ad he was a red and blue hybrid not 1/4 red 1/4 blue and 1/2 b&w as I believe you stated at the end of your original post.

I'm not gunna get in a battle of symantics via forum text... But what has been explained to me is that most blues are b&w that yield blue traits, or that they have been bred down with b&w to continue their higher contrast since their u.s. introduction was so few and none since.... I.e. most blues are b&w
Secondly, it has also been explained to me that albinos both in the reptile kingdom and more over all species is a common genetic mutation that most often occurs with the advent of inbreeding... And how do we keep getting blues with such a small gene pool? Both of my animals have high contrast white and yield blue traits, which would infer that they have a higher probability of producing a naturally occuring albino... If I used the term "het" improperly from what you bureans are sure it means, I apologize, I was under the impression that it simply meant higher probability of producing a particular trait...
And finally.... I made this post bc I am happy to announce a new member to my family, and that my little guys will be breeding soon... So thank you for your shared enthusiasm. I'm glad to see that the key point of my thread was unanimously conveyed.

Grendel

The genetics questions are quite valid. I have to disagree that the pairing of these two will produce a "new hybrid line". If you take two dogs that are "mutts", you just get more mutts, not a new kind of dog.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Hahaha some people seriously don't understand the concept of genetics. Once you get a "natural occurring albino" from this pairing please share it.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Genetics are not just black and white, just because they are high white (lacking pigment) doesn't mean their offspring are more likely to be Albinos. The male came from a Red x Blue pairing no B&W or even Known genetics of Albinism. Which is why I also asked where your female came from. Just because she also has more white than any other pigment doesn't mean she's likely to carry albino genetics either. For all we know they could be clutch mates.

Their pairing doesn't make it a new blood line since neither were WC they're both CBB. Their genetics already exist in captivity, as far as Blue x Red hybrids go that's not a large gene pool. Since there haven't been that many clutches.

Just because you breed two high white animals together doesn't mean that the offspring will be the same. They can be across the board from high white to low white with some extras in between.

Which brings me back to my original issue with people jumping to conclusions before they have the proof besides here say or what they assume, to back it up. It only adds to the issue and confusion.

TegusRawesome they don't have to be hybrids to carry Albino genes. We have only seen it with Blues until last year. But I haven't heard or seen anything about the Genetics of those Albino Reds.

Bntegus

i have been trying to breed albinos with reds for 10 years it just wont work at least for me. im not very good with the whole gene stuff but i have tried every way.

krazyeyez

Thank you all for your input, yes they are both bluexred crosses with high contrast white, I was lead to believe by alexi's bf as well as by my local herp pet shop that both of these guys could produce an albino... If and when it cones I will definately let you all in on it. And again... I am just happy to announce that he has found a permanent home and she a companion. Let's see hoe it turns out... And no from following what alexi says from him being from Cris Allen and ultimately from a breeder named javier, they are not clutch mates. She came through an EXPO in Vegas by a breeder from San Diego.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I never said that only hybrids could be het albino, I said it was unlikely they were because the chances of someone crossing an albino blue with another morph was unlikely, especially due to the shortage of albino blues in the first place. In other words, the OP was lied to and mislead because there is 0 chance of those animals being 100% het albino.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Because the albino gene is recessive, any animal could be carrying without visual aspects. However, the high white contrast is not indicative of het for albino. Usually that label is made through a proven pairing with albino offspring, hence the recessive gene has been "proved out".

got10

Grendel said:
The genetics questions are quite valid. I have to disagree that the pairing of these two will produce a "new hybrid line". If you take two dogs that are "mutts", you just get more mutts, not a new kind of dog.

Maltipoo schnoodle

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Not any animal could be carrying, only animals that come from a visual albino parent will be 100% het albino. Animals from one 100% het albino parent will be 50% het etc etc. These animals are almost certainly not from an albino parent and they can't be from two 100% hets because they're crosses so there's almost no chance either is het albino.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The offspring from one vis albino parent and one normal parent will be guaranteed to be 100% het albino (Aa). That is what het means. Homozygous is matching alleles (AA normal or aa albino). A normal animal can carry the albino recessive gene and not show any indication whatsoever. Aa. That is also 100% heterozygous. When people start getting into 60% and such, they are referring to the chances of carrying that gene referring to the punnet square. The potential for normal, wild caught animals to be carrying the gene is why people import for breeding projects, and where the original albino reptiles came from.

Hybrid

Grendel, many dog breeds have been created by breeding different breeds together. Breeds of fish have been created through hybridization of different species. Also in birds.

Recessive genes CAN be passed to hybrid offspring, its not a maybe. Its a known fact. Its only 100% het albino if one of there parents was albino.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980