• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Mom with a question

Everlost

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,

Well we just got home with our baby Argentine B&W about half an hour ago. The tegu is completely adorable of course and still very green.

I was surprised at how calm the lizard is at such a young age. It settled down in my hands after jut a couple of minutes of letting it walk from hand to hand.

We are naming the new beastie Gryffon.

Anyway my question is: I've read a lot about tegus as I wanted to know everything I could before taking the plunge. I know that you feed babies 100% meat diet. At what age do you start adding other things to the menu? nobody has mentioned when they transition from baby to old enough to eat other stuff.

Beth and the Zoo.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depends who you ask.. I think what i've read most often is that around 1 year of age to start adding other items(fruits, etc). I've never had a 1 year old tegu tho so don't take my word for it :) .

Congratulations on your new baby!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Offer some fruit & greens anyway, it can't hurt to try.

Looking back at my notes, our 16 month old started eating fruit at about 5 months old, but she was sick when we got her and took a couple of months to get her back to good health.

Keith_w

5 Year Member
try the fruit, my guy loves it. hes probably only 5-6 weeks and i had him eat peach grapes and cherry before. i just break it into little bits and lay it on a plate with some meat.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It won't hurt to offer fruit now. Mine likes blueberries right from the get go. Lets see some pics of your new guy and the rest of the zoo!

Exhume2Consume

5 Year Member
mine is about a year and a half old.
in the 2 months that ive had her she has eaten 2 cherrys.
im having alot of difficulties getting her to eat grapes and blue berries.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Exhume2Consume said:
mine is about a year and a half old.
in the 2 months that ive had her she has eaten 2 cherrys.
im having alot of difficulties getting her to eat grapes and blue berries.
That's odd. Our youngest is 16 months. This morning the first thing she picked out were the grapes, then the fish. They like blueberries too. Haven't tried cherries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980