• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Owner: Young Tegu Questions

jorshaw

5 Year Member
I have a New Tegu That I got at a recent Reptile Expo. I have had him for almost 3 weeks now. He is about 10 inches long and is an Argentian Black and white. I have wanted a Tegu for years and finally got up the nerve to get one. Now that I do I have a few questions for the more experenced tege owner.

1. Mine has this thing when I have him out whatever eyes he is looking at me with he closes. But he keeps the other one open. What could this be?

2. He is starting to get a little more used to me but when i get him out he will act all calm for a second and then when he thinks i am not paying attention he goes nuts and starts running and doing every thing in his power to get away. Any help with this problem?

3. I am hoping to one day get him to be like all those tegus that you see online. Dog tame basically. How long does it normally take to tame a tegu of about his age?

I appreciate the responces and the info

Jordan :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jorshaw said:
I have a New Tegu That I got at a recent Reptile Expo. I have had him for almost 3 weeks now. He is about 10 inches long and is an Argentian Black and white. I have wanted a Tegu for years and finally got up the nerve to get one. Now that I do I have a few questions for the more experenced tege owner.

1. Mine has this thing when I have him out whatever eyes he is looking at me with he closes. But he keeps the other one open. What could this be?

2. He is starting to get a little more used to me but when i get him out he will act all calm for a second and then when he thinks i am not paying attention he goes nuts and starts running and doing every thing in his power to get away. Any help with this problem?

3. I am hoping to one day get him to be like all those tegus that you see online. Dog tame basically. How long does it normally take to tame a tegu of about his age?

I appreciate the responces and the info

Jordan :)

The answer to the first question could be stress, often times they will close their eyes if they stress a bit. As for the second question, you need to take it slow, he does not trust you and is trying to bolt when he gets the chance. As for the time to get tame, every tegu is different, some take longer then others, you just need to give him time and work slow around him, fast movements will be taken as a threat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029