• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Reptiles Mag article

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post this in but I just got my May 09 issue of Reptiles Mag today. It has a really interesting article on how natural and artifical light affects reptiles. It discusses sunlight, UVA and UVB lighting. Pretty cool article, it helps shed some light on types of bulbs to use and how the type of lighting is beneficial to reptiles.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Cool, thats something that could be very handy to know. What magazine is the article in? I have a little booklet that discusses natural and artificial light. It also has a guide of what bulbs to use for what reptile.

Tux

5 Year Member
i found it rather brief and lacking information, more filled with generalizations. uvguide actually goes into detail and this article covered nothing new.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
well being new to keeping reptiles who actually need UVB lighting, it wasn't old news to me. i think a lot of inexperienced people looking for info on keeping tegus and other lizards would find it helpful. most people don't know how damaging it is for them not to have the UVB. i think it was a good idea for the magazine to put that out there, it reaches a lot of people each month. each one a possible future owner of an animal who would need it.

Tux

5 Year Member
I understand where your coming from, I'm just saying if an article is to be written than it should contain something new not just regurgitated information. If you have not seen it you should check out uvguide.co.uk (it isn't loading for me atm tho) basically it is the 1 site covering the topic that blows everything else away.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, tux. While I learned new info regarding the types of cones in the eyes of reptiles, the UV information wasn't exactly earth-shattering. However, it was great info for the new keeper and hopefully will spare a lot of reptiles from needless MBD. I'm really glad they printed the feature and mentioned the uk website which is much more in depth.

A couple of thoughts....it seemed to have an unfavorable view of tube fluorescents that surprised me, and I don't think it gave adequate warning to the use of MVB in small enclosures, especially when used with reflector type domes. Of course, I gave it a quick read and perhaps my first impression is incorrect.

Tux

5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
I agree, tux. While I learned new info regarding the types of cones in the eyes of reptiles, the UV information wasn't exactly earth-shattering. However, it was great info for the new keeper and hopefully will spare a lot of reptiles from needless MBD. I'm really glad they printed the feature and mentioned the uk website which is much more in depth.

A couple of thoughts....it seemed to have an unfavorable view of tube fluorescents that surprised me, and I don't think it gave adequate warning to the use of MVB in small enclosures, especially when used with reflector type domes. Of course, I gave it a quick read and perhaps my first impression is incorrect.

They did mention MVBs should only be used in large enclosures but didn't hinge on it (p.32). What really got me was when writing about CFLs "These lamps decay more rapidly than tubes and may need replacement after 6 months"...sorry Frances but tubes need replaced before 6 months so what the heck was he trying to say lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980