• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Rhino Pics!!!

dabears51

Sorry for the delay folks. I haven't had time to take pics til now.

I received this little guy on Tuesday from Rob Ehrig. It's a Russet line Rhino. He hatched out in October of 2011. As soon as I put it in it's tank it started exploring EVERYTHING! It even started jumping on top of the vent trying to get out. It's so curious.

I do have one question for Rhino owners. It bobs it's head very often while I'm observing it. Does anybody know if both males and females do this? Or is it just a male thing? I might take it to the NARBC show here in Chicago to have it probed. Curious minds want to know...

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    983.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Pic3.JPG
    Pic3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Pic4.JPG
    Pic4.JPG
    577.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Pic5.JPG
    Pic5.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 13

RobK.

dabears51 said:
Sorry for the delay folks. I haven't had time to take pics til now.

I do have one question for Rhino owners. It bobs it's head very often while I'm observing it. Does anybody know if both males and females do this? Or is it just a male thing?

I know my male does it all the time , with mouth opened and closed . don't have a female but i think they all do that . at about 15-16 months mine started showing sighs of being a male .

see the bulge to the left of the vent . it is on both sides with a dent between . a female will have the bulge in the middle .

sexingroni4.jpg

then i saw these when he pooped in a clear Tub , so i knew for sure . they would pop out just as he finished going poop .

hemipenis.jpg

mine has always had prominent horns and fat pockets on his head and neck and short snout . Not that always means its a male BUT he sure liked like one to me .

rhinogreatshot.jpg

rhinopiggingout.jpg

roni14monthsjpg.jpg

and here he is now , he's 18 months old and i have had him one year as of the 14th of march .

roniheadshot.jpg

dabears51

WOW, great looking pics you have there. My rhino is only about 14in. long. I can't wait for it to grow! It hasn't eaten much yet. It's only picked at the food here and there. I haven't bothered with it either, just giving it time to settle.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nice rhino, both males and females head bobi think you can start to see signs at around 2' like head shape and hemipenis bulges, i knew mines was a male because he and my green iguana use to put on displays lol they couldnt get anywere near each other but the head bobbing and territorial displays were amazing, mines started at about 6 mos old

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Male and female bob there head males do it alot more with there mouth open,good luck with the new guy.He'll eat more as he settles in trust me lol ever things new to him now .

RobK.

dabears51 said:
My rhino is only about 14in. long. I can't wait for it to grow!

you will not have to wait long . LOL mine was 13'' and is now 39'' and grew 26'' in one year . He should slow down and start filling out more , i hope .

IMG_5182.jpg

dabears51

RobK. said:
dabears51 said:
My rhino is only about 14in. long. I can't wait for it to grow!

you will not have to wait long . LOL mine was 13'' and is now 39'' and grew 26'' in one year . He should slow down and start filling out more , i hope .

IMG_5182.jpg

Nice! That's why I'm so excited. He's already coming out of his hide alot more and finally basking and eating. My son has even tong fed him some mazuri tortoise chow, and apple while he was basking. He's also starting to shed around his hind legs.

I gotta say of all the reptiles I've had, this guy has so much personality! I own a few leopard and crested geckos along with a veiled chameleon. I even have some tarantulas and scorpions lol. None show as much character as this little guy!

RobK.

[/quote]
I gotta say of all the reptiles I've had, this guy has so much personality!
[/quote]

I will have to agree . my Rhino is spoiled and does show a lot of personality and way more than any other reptile i have owned . he perks up the minute i walk into the room and climbs to the top wanting to get out and be held . he no long wants to be in his cage , but he just wants to be held .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980