• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New skinny tegu

JoeTurtleKing

New skinny red tegu

Moved to (Red tegu page sorry) I don't know how to delete this post

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337662959141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337662959141.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337663404521.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337663404521.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337663355223.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337663355223.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 38
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337663058491.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337663058491.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 33

HeatherN

RE: New skinny red tegu

Poor little one! I hate seeing animals neglected or sick in stores ecauae they don't know how to care for them. But at least they had the decency to not try to sell a sick animal to some uninformed customer. I bet getting some food in it's belly felt much, much better. Obviously, it would be a smart to take it to a vet to check for parasites and infections, but it may be just simple starvation/dehydration. Let's hope it's the latter! Thank you for taking in an animal so desperately in need, I bet it'll turn into one happy gu. :)

JoeTurtleKing

Hello everyone this is my first post and first time on this forum (already loving it & learning so much). Im a new tegu owner as I just yesterday bought a red tegu but he's/she's in bad shape.

I go to this reptile store every week to get feeders and they have had a red tegu for the past 6 months with a sigh (NOT FOR SALE) so I asked why its not for sale and was told that it is a pain to get to eat anything and is very skinny.
So i asked if they knew what was wrong with it and was told that they don't know but they really don't have the time to work with it as they have a big store and a lot of animals. So i told them for the right price I would take it off there hand and try to get him/her back on track.

The first day I let him/her get used to the new environment and the next day (today) I tried to give him/her scrabbled eggs it bit the eggs so slow and dropped it. It was moving slow and was very lethargic and would not eat at all so later on today i tried pinky mice but no go. So i opened its mouth (not forcefully) and put a half of a pinky in and he/she ate that and then did the same thing with a whole pinky and it ate it again then it ate a pinky without me opening its mouth :)

Only 3-4 hours later he/she is much more active and is looking a lot better. It drank some water and is walking around. I know were not out the woods yet because it is still so skinny but I'm hopefull that with a lot of love and attention it will turn around and be a happy ending

(P.s.Here is some pictures. I think at some point they must of had it in with another tegu because it is missing a scale on its face and on top its head and has a bite mark on its tail :-( . I sadly don't have the money to bring him/her to the vet for at least the next two weeks)

[attachment=4352] [attachment=4353] [attachment=4354] [attachment=4355] The last picture of him/her soaking is after it ate the pinky mice so its belly is plumper (hope i can keep it that way)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337664212088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337664212088.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337664149499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337664149499.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337664093914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337664093914.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337664038970.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337664038970.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 12

got10

Sounds like they where just going to let it die and get credit from the vendor .Thats how my Malcom looked when i received him give it pedialyte for re hydration roaches and mice . roaches for the protein and the mice for the fat content to plump it up . Good luck . btw if you have access to any markets that sell qual eggs try and give as many as it will devour at a sitting

JoeTurtleKing

Thank you for the info. I can get quail eggs from my market and also have a friend that breeds quail. Yea it kinda does sound like they were going to let it die but they are usually a great reptile store so i don't know.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

JoeTurtleKing

Re: RE: New skinny red tegu

HeatherN said:
Poor little one! I hate seeing animals neglected or sick in stores ecauae they don't know how to care for them. But at least they had the decency to not try to sell a sick animal to some uninformed customer. I bet getting some food in it's belly felt much, much better. Obviously, it would be a smart to take it to a vet to check for parasites and infections, but it may be just simple starvation/dehydration. Let's hope it's the latter! Thank you for taking in an animal so desperately in need, I bet it'll turn into one happy gu. :)
That you :) I also hope its just starvation/dehydration as bad as that kinda sounds. Although I don't think it is a parasite because its been this way I guess for six months. If in the next two weeks (when I get paid) it doesn't put on any weight I will definitely be bringing it in to a vet. The reptile store I got to/got it is usually great and full of information but there mostly a snake place (no excuse). I'm justly happy I could get him/her before it was to late.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That tegu has some serious issues. First the dehydration needs to be corrected. Then feed. Giving proteins to weakened kidneys is rough. It also appears that it has dermatitis about the face, probably from a weakened immune system. However, he doesn't look strong enough to really tolerate antibiotics (kidneys again). This is one of those little guys that could really, really benefit from the care of a good herp vet and an attentive new owner working as a team. :)

By the way, I merged your two threads together into one for you, and wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Aww the poor thing. I hope he makes a full recovery and becomes a nice bit fat happy tegu.

JoeTurtleKing

Thank you everyone for the info and kind words. His/Her name is Charmander and is doing a lot better in just two days. When i first got Charmander two days ago he/she couldn't hold its head up and wherever I put Charmander down he/she would just stay there with his/her eyes closed.

After I got some water and a couple pinkies into him/her Charmander is now walking around holding his/her head high and is looking 10x better. I still know its going to be a long up hill battle to get Charmander 100% but I'm willing to invest the time to get him/her there

ilovelizards

Try some honey I forgot what is in it but I read somewere that it will help regain nutrince(sp?) with out over working the lizards body.It worked when my bd was deathly ill from a accidental bug injestion and apple viniger,honey and water and lots of experence with ill reptiles,reserch&vet classes and love did the trick after a week or so he was back to normal.Im looking for the artical now...best of luck

JoeTurtleKing

Re: RE: New skinny tegu

ilovelizards said:
Try some honey I forgot what is in it but I read somewere that it will help regain nutrince(sp?) with out over working the lizards body.It worked when my bd was deathly ill from a accidental bug injestion and apple viniger,honey and water and lots of experence with ill reptiles,reserch&vet classes and love did the trick after a week or so he was back to normal.Im looking for the artical now...best of luck

Thank you I will give honey a try (mixed with water?). I hope you can find the article I would love to read it. Also happy to hear your bearded dragon pulled trough

(A little bit of an update) The store said that he hasn't had a bowel movement in a while since he hadn't really ate for them in weeks. Well he ate two days ago and just made in his enclosure :)

Here is a new picture of Charmander's and his enclosure for now. Hot side/hide on left 107* right side/hide 76* uva/I've bulb in middle.

[attachment=4357]
[attachment=4356]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337720339802.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337720339802.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1337720766464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337720766464.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 14

ilovelizards

JoeTurtleKing said:
ilovelizards said:

Thank you I will give honey a try (mixed with water?). I hope you can find the article I would love to read it. Also happy to hear your bearded dragon pulled trough

(A little bit of an update) The store said that he hasn't had a bowel movement in a while since he hadn't really ate for them in weeks. Well he ate two days ago and just made in his enclosure :)

Here is a new picture of Charmander's and his enclosure for now. Hot side/hide on left 107* right side/hide 76* uva/I've bulb in middle.

yes water but if he is haveing trouble going to the bath room try olive oil and a warm bath.Im still looking for the artical for you

JoeTurtleKing

Got some what I feel is bad news Charmander pooped out the pinkies and they were only half digested? Could this just be to much protein at once since he hasn't ate in a long time? Also does the picture of the cage I'm keeping him in look ok because this is my 1st tegu and im trying to get everything right

ilovelizards

JoeTurtleKing said:
Got some what I feel is bad news Charmander pooped out the pinkies and they were only half digested? Could this just be to much protein at once since he hasn't ate in a long time? Also does the picture of the cage I'm keeping him in look ok because this is my 1st tegu and im trying to get everything right

How hot is the basking spot? & it could be have you tryed ground terkey yet?

the cage looks fine to me four such a sickly younge tegu.You just might need to add a better easyer to get on to basking spot useing rocks or wood because he may have not gotten warm enoth to digest any thing.Also a temp reading will help and also is he basking yet?

JoeTurtleKing

He doesn't have a basking spot there is heat cable under 1/3 of the enclosure and it reads between 103-107* on the hot side/hide that's where he spends all of time. Would a heat lamp be better? Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm a 1st time tegu owner and to start off with a sick/malnourished one is tough

ilovelizards said:
JoeTurtleKing said:

How hot is the basking spot? & it could be have you tryed ground terkey yet?

the cage looks fine to me four such a sickly younge tegu.You just might need to add a better easyer to get on to basking spot useing rocks or wood because he may have not gotten warm enoth to digest any thing.Also a temp reading will help and also is he basking yet?

I posted the temp reading above (107* hot side/hide and 76* cold side/hide).

ilovelizards

A basking light would be best because they soke up most of there heat from basking in sunlight so light from above is best.Also ive never worked with heat cables befor but they could posably burn him most lizards dont easly feel heat on there bellys and get burned or posably dieing from burrowing to clouse to it.He also needs uvb/uva rays to grow properly and calcium..let me know if you need light bulb suggestions

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely get a heat lamp. I just use household bulbs in soft white to get the temps to 110ish. Then get a tube rather than coiled UVB light (if you are using a coiled/compact lamp). Another option is a mercury vapor lamp like the PowerSun that provides heat and UV in one.

As for food, it has been so long since he has eaten, pinkies may be too much for him. Try getting a can of Hill's Prescription Diet A/D formula. You can usually buy one can or so for a reptile from a pet store or a vet. If you can't find A/D, use Blue Buffalo Wilderness for cats. You can find that at Petco or PetSmart in little cans. Take a tablespoon and mix it with pedialyte or plain water. Add a pinch of calcium powder as well. Let him lick it up, eat it, whatever he wants to do to get it down. It will add hydration, easy to digest food, vitamins and minerals, fruits and vegetables, meat, all sorts of good stuff. Cat food isn't good as a regular diet, necessarily, but this will help him get some nutrition that he can assimilate in his weakened condition.

Links for food:
http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/wild-delights-chicken-turkey

A vet can always assess for kidney or liver damage and give extra fluids, too. ;)

JoeTurtleKing

Bad news Charmander sadly did not make it :-( but the store I got him from is giving me a deal on a new red tegu ($115) and it will he 100% healthy. I did know before I purchased him he was is rough shape but i really thought with some work and love he would pull trough :'(

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wayneboy88