• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Enclosure

Non Crimen

james.w said:
The distance will depend on what basking temp you are trying to maintain. 15" away may cause too high of a basking temp or possibly too low. You will have to experiment with it. What fixture did you make from Home Depot? I use a Home Depot fixture in my Tegus cage and used them in all the cage I built with no problems. I believe they are rated for 600W.

As far as the 24" Xenon v. the 36" fluorescent, I think experimentation will also help you decide which you are happier with.

I purchased a metal junction box and then screwed a porcelain fixture onto it. Bought an extension cord, stripped off the ends and wired it that way. I'm just concerned about the heat given off by the MVB. Box says to be sure to use/have porcelain heat dissipate r. Any thoughts anyone?

Non Crimen

Almost done.
5002f9.jpg

24fdwew.jpg

Hopefully I'll finish trimming out the enclosure this weekend. Measure 4x's cut twice lol. We have it set up in our son's room, under his loft bed. Trying to get a group shot of bed and enclosure but I didn't realize how small his bedroom is. Owen seems to be acclimating just fine. More to follow.

Grendel

Looks great/ my two cents... Since I can't see from the pictures where you have its water supply. Put the water container near the door/front of cage, you will end up changing it more often if it is easy to reach.

Non Crimen

Grendel said:
Looks great/ my two cents... Since I can't see from the pictures where you have its water supply. Put the water container near the door/front of cage, you will end up changing it more often if it is easy to reach.

We actually have 2 water sources. Both up front. So, let's see:
1 red Tegu
1 really big enclosure (really big)
1 hide
3 pieces of drift wood
1 100 watt MVB
1 40 watt Xenon under cabinet light
5 frozen rats
Temp 85-92
Humidity 55-60%
1 pint of Jose Cuervo
Man, life is good!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Non Crimen said:
Grendel said:

1 red Tegu
1 hide
3 pieces of drift wood
1 100 watt MVB
5 frozen rats
Temp 85-92
Humidity 55-60%
1 pint of Jose Cuervo
Man, life is good!!

Only problem I see is with your choice of Tequila, I would go with Patron!

Non Crimen

More Pictures.......Enjoy
25k3ql1.png

28tjfi1.jpg

james.w said:
Non Crimen said:
Grendel said:

1 red Tegu
1 hide
3 pieces of drift wood
1 100 watt MVB
5 frozen rats
Temp 85-92
Humidity 55-60%
1 pint of Jose Cuervo
Man, life is good!!

Only problem I see is with your choice of Tequila, I would go with Patron!
Patron? James.W how many kids do you have?
Cuervo is all I can afford lol. I'm just glad my wife allows my friend Jose to stop and visit every once in a while!!

Non Crimen

james.w said:
I have 3 kids
Same here. 5 11 14
But do you have a Bullmastiff that eats 6 cups of food a day?
Vegas. Funny, that's where my last bestest bartender moved to. Introduced me to Jose lol.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Non Crimen said:
james.w said:
I have 3 kids
Same here. 5 11 14
But do you have a Bullmastiff that eats 6 cups of food a day?
Vegas. Funny, that's where my last bestest bartender moved to. Introduced me to Jose lol.

No Bull Mastiff, but I do have 3 cats that eat about 3 cups a day, and 16 snakes.

Non Crimen

16 snakes? I know how to cut down on the 3 cats. JUST KIDDING!! We have 2 Himalayan cat's as well. Not sure how much they eat or for that matter what they eat. I do know how to get rid of our daughter's hamster though.... Only kidding Marina.

Non Crimen

rhetoricx said:
Nice enclosure, it turned out really well!

Thanks,
All the credit should go to a grandpa named Darwin. He's an acquaintance of our's grandfather. He lost his wife of 56 years 5 months ago (his martini partner, his words, not mine). Our friend said her passing hit him really hard and he has nothing to do to occupy his time but sit and think about how much he misses his wife. So she thought building the enclosure would help. When we went to pick it up he wouldn't take the check that I had written. He only charged me for the materials and I made the check out for $100 more. I think he even may have sworn at me lol. I explained that I knew his grand daughter who helped build it with him had lost her job and the check was for her labor, not his. That seemed to make it okay.

ps If Jose doesn't leave soon I'm going to have to take a nap.......

Khoilie

Your enclosure turned out real nice. You'll find out like I did that when it comes to Tegus everything is about experimenting and finding what works for you and your Tegu lol. Food, lighting, substrate, temperatures, basking temps, humidity, etc. every tegu is different and no info is final or definitive when it comes to these lizards. you'll get it though. just takes some patients

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980