• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Mom

BeastiesRUs

5 Year Member
Hi, my husband is now the proud papa of a darling bouncing baby Columbian Tegu. We've got an AWESOME guy that we got him from and he is providing us a lot of valuable information, supplies and support but I always feel like I need more. Our little guy (and my husband has deemed that HE is a HE because HE is a GUYS pet) hasn't got a name yet. When measured he is about 13 inches long from nose to tip of tail. The friend of ours that we got him from bought the entire clutch from somewhere back east (we're in Utah) and he is assuming by their size that they are about 2 months old. We tried feeding him some dusted crickets this morning and he ended up cuddling with them but when we gave him a bit of canned catfood he dug right in like he was starving to death. We're not sure about starting him on pinkies, we're wondering if it's too soon? How many crickets is he suppose to eat everyday? In addition to our new boy, we also have a 1 year old 40in long Columbian Red-Tail boa named Dallas, a 1 year old Gopher snake that's about 14in long and a 1 year old Western Hognose named Daisy (she's mine) and she's only about 5 inches long. In addition to our cold-blooded children, 3 skin kids and I also have 5 ferrets. Which leads me to my next question. I was holding the Tegu tonight when one of my ferrets climbed up onto my lap. The Tegu FREAKED out. Before this, he'd rested comfortably without trying to run or get away, is okay to get out of his tank, he's extremely mellow. But as soon as Aynsley (the ferret) came over and he got a wiff of her, he was trying to get as far away as he could. We've got the ferrets, the snakes and the tegu all in the same room, our living/dining area in our apartment because it's the most common area and we want them all to feel included. Could having the smell of the ferrets everywhere upset him if we put him down? Will becoming associated with the smell help him to not view the ferrets as food? I'd like to be able to put him down on the floor to run (of course this is only when the ferrets are put away) but my husband is afraid he's too fast and will get away.
Basically, I guess my question is: What do I need to expect with this beautiful boy? Oh, and do they need humidity, my husband just threw that one in there.
Thanks so much for all the help, in advance!!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
e2v97wd8.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me