• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Not Eating

jc5066

i picked up a a 5 month old Red Argentine about a week ago. For the most part he stays buried. The first day he ate a couple roaches. I’ve Doug him out every day and let him crawl on my bed for about 10 minutes at a time. Has only eaten a little egg once since. A couple times he’s basked for a while but most of the time just Burris’s himself and stays there.

Is he being stressed and shy? Trying to go into brumation? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

MasterJedi

Tegu brumation is a very healthy sign of behavior. They stressed when we try to interrupt their brumation. Let him be and when he decided come out, offer him water and food. Goodluck

EnjoysWine

It's normal for Tegus to hide a lot, especially when they're adjusting to a new location/habitat. That being said, make sure the basking spot is at least 110F because if they cannot get warm enough, it will affect their appetite. If you're trying to hibernate your Tegu, read the threads on hibernation; you need to hibernate your Tegu a specific way for them to remain healthy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980