• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu owner

JPW59165

Hello everyone, I've had a Savannah Monitor before and now I finally got a Tegu. I bought what was advertised as a 15" (I assumed tip to tip) Argentine black and white. The 1st thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was this lizard is probably 31.5" long, it is more brown and tan than black and white, very aggressive. So it made me think I was sent the wrong lizard, maybe a Columbian and possible wild caught (shipped from Florida). I contacted the seller immediately and was basically told I was full of BS! I sent a picture to a knowledgeable person and was told it could be a Chacoan. Now I'm stuck with a mature and nasty tempered lizard. Ive had it a week and it eats great. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_162008571_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171022_162008571_HDR.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 46

Zyn

It's an argentine maybe 2 years old. He looks that way because he's dry and maybe about to shed. Looks like he needs a few large meals. Looks slightly dehydrated. Other than that looks as advertised. Now him being aggressive. you can't know how he was treated before hand. They aren't tame by themselves give him some time to warm up to you and a full belly. Now I'm slightly confused by his enclosure. Tegus aren't really climbers but love to dig and borrow. I'd worrying about him hurting himself on that metal stair system you got going on or pulling a nail off in that felt carpet.

But to brighten him up give him small amounts of cod liver oil in his food it'll help his system and shedding. Also give him a nice soak in the tub once he's settled in. Also check his enclosure humidity

JPW59165

It was skinnier when I got it, and dehydrated for sure. It's been eating chicken hearts and gizzards as well as strawberries and blackberries. It's definitely getting ready to shed. I keep 6" of soil in the bottom and it has a hide box with moss in it. Humidity reads 65-70%. The basking area is 18" under a 160 and 70 watt Mega Ray's and gets up to about 105°. I keep a large pan in there for water too.

Zyn

Sounds good to me then id just give him time. Hatchlings are easier to tame but plenty of older ones tame up just as fast. Work with him, put a shift that smells like you in his hidd, give him baths and just give it time. Also try and give him a F/T rat now and again and some repti vit no D3/ calcium No D3 if he's got plenty of access to UVB via his lamp

JPW59165

Thanks for the info. I hope it's a female. The whole reason I got a Tegu was because I remember how big my Savannah got. I don't want another 5-1/2' lizard, something 3-1/2 to 4' is more my range

beardeddragon111

Sorry my post might have been confusing. I thought savannahs often stood at 3 foot, which seems small but they have short tails comparative to their bodies. Still Id think tegus are larger.

Zyn

From everything I've seen BD yes tegus are larger than savanaahs. Most savanaahs grow to 2.5 - 3 ft in length. A male B/W can grow 5ft plus and a female 3.5+.

The tegu part was more for the owner of the thread BD

JPW59165

Quick update. The Tegu looks better now that it has shed. It it getting more tolerant of me, wouldn't consider it tame by any stretch though. At first it would run and hide as soon as I approached the enclosure, then his if I tried to get close to it, tail whip me when I touched it and scratch twist and bite if I held it. It no longer runs for it's life when I come in the room. It's also less aggressive when I put my hand in the cage. I started hand feeding it, it takes food very gently. It will now let me rub up under it's chin and even allow me to slide my hand under it and pick it up, but still gets a little uncomfortable with being lifted all the way out of the cage. Slowly but surely, I have hope and won't give up.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Quick update. The Tegu looks better now that it has shed. It it getting more tolerant of me, wouldn't consider it tame by any stretch though. At first it would run and hide as soon as I approached the enclosure, then his if I tried to get close to it, tail whip me when I touched it and scratch twist and bite if I held it. It no longer runs for it's life when I come in the room. It's also less aggressive when I put my hand in the cage. I started hand feeding it, it takes food very gently. It will now let me rub up under it's chin and even allow me to slide my hand under it and pick it up, but still gets a little uncomfortable with being lifted all the way out of the cage. Slowly but surely, I have hope and won't give up.
Very good. Off the ground is weirdfor them.

beardeddragon111

That's really good. I personally wouldn't hand feed though. If they're ever given a reason to bite you, especially in a food driven way, they'll tear your hand up pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's really good. I personally wouldn't hand feed though. If they're ever given a reason to bite you, especially in a food driven way, they'll tear your hand up pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
For some keepers, hand-feeding works. For what it’s worth, I don’t hand-feed mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980