• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu owner!

Seham Salem

Hi guys i got my new pet Argentine bw about a week ago (4/3/18).His name is Thor. He is about 2m old. I think he is super cute!!!!! If anyone can help me with ANY advice or tips that would be appreciated. For example, he has been hiding this entire time. He eats and poops fine but he is always buried in the substrate. He also jumps alot when i put my hand in idk if its a playful/curious thing or agression? I want to start the handling so he can get used to me.

Gary

Welcome! Give him some time to settle in :) it can be hard as getting a new pet is exciting, but it will take at least two weeks before he starts coming out more. You have to ease into handling. This forum has SO much great information. Familiarize youself with the stickied posts for starters. Best of luck!

onnie0047

What Gary Said.... I have one I have had since October, still hides 99% of the time, still, jumps and huffs and basically hates my guts. Until recently he was opening his mouth to bite me when I held him, but its no doubt he would rather not have anything to do with me. I will keep working with him but I no longer am trying to push him because I know as he grows and get confidant in his size he will calm down. so dont worry it will come in time. I had one mostly tame down at 29 days....each one is different I guess. Good luck

Seham Salem

What Gary Said.... I have one I have had since October, still hides 99% of the time, still, jumps and huffs and basically hates my guts. Until recently he was opening his mouth to bite me when I held him, but its no doubt he would rather not have anything to do with me. I will keep working with him but I no longer am trying to push him because I know as he grows and get confidant in his size he will calm down. so dont worry it will come in time. I had one mostly tame down at 29 days....each one is different I guess. Good luck
A few people have said that. When they grow they calm down, which makes me feel better. I thought i was screwed and stuck with an evil tegu.

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome Seham. Post a photo if unsure of the species. Let him get used to your being nearby and changing water, etc. without touching him. Talk to him when you're nearby and place a recently worn t-shirt in his hide. They usually come around.

Seham Salem

Welcome Seham. Post a photo if unsure of the species. Let him get used to your being nearby and changing water, etc. without touching him. Talk to him when you're nearby and place a recently worn t-shirt in his hide. They usually come around.
I did the tshirt thing this past week, but i have been doing all the cleaning and being in his cage with a glove, im hoping to man up this week and be able to mess in his cage without the glove. I have heard They can get used to that, and then be scared of your hand.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome all sounds normal for a tegu so young ..... The jumping around sounds like His/her flight mode and is trying to jump away from you, whilst he/she does this leave your hand in his/her Viv/cage till he/she stops so you don't esculate bad behavioral problems by giving into his/her tantrums

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome all sounds normal for a tegu so young ..... The jumping around sounds like His/her flight mode and is trying to jump away from you, whilst he/she does this leave your hand in his/her Viv/cage till he/she stops so you don't esculate bad behavioral problems by giving into his/her tantrums
Yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980