• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu owner

Butterflieslies

5 Year Member
I just recently bought a Argentine black and white tegu, and I just had some questions. The little guy(or girl) is still green but his back is very brown with very few black lines on him. I am curious if this means he will be very white after his next couple of sheds or if that is common for all babies to look like that and darken as they shed. Also I just got him and he seems skinny. I gave him crickets and he readily devoured them. I know they go into hibernation around mid September but do babies readily know to hibernate and should I let him hibernate if he's still so small and skinny? I'm an experienced herp keeper, but this is my first tegu and I want to make sure I do everything right for him.

dave

5 Year Member
maybe add some ground turkey or soft boiled egg, crickets have some but little protien. Besides That you should go over your husbandry. Temp and humidity are very important to appetite. A good UVB bulb is a must. Thats a few ideas. good luck.

devine*

5 Year Member
most tegus are actually dehydrated (skin folds on the sides and legs) when they reach their new homes. make sure he has a constant supply of fresh water, possibly available in a few places within his enclosure.

As for the pattern, more colors like browns start to show up and later these turn to white. From the sounds of it you have quite a young tegu.

As for hibernation, I would let him do what he wants. If you are going to hibernate him make sure you read up some of the information on this site.

& welcome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980