• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu problems

JasonW

5 Year Member
On sunday I finaly got my B&W tegu which is very rare where im from so there is not a lot of help in keeping him going around. My first problem is that he doesnt want to eat, I know that he needs to adjust to his new enclosure but how long should I wait before I start to worry. My second problem is that im struggling to keep the humidity up, im misting three times a day but it never seems to go over 60% it just hovers around 50-55%. And then my last problem is live feeding. I was told by the breeder that he refuses to take F/T rodents and my parents have a serious problen with me bashing a mouse half to beath so it doesnt injure him. Is there any tricks to get him to accept F/T rodents? Any help would be great because I want my new pet to be as healthy as possible. Thanks

Taydeon

5 Year Member
Try feeding him/her ground turkey or chicken gizzards and try a frozen feeder....the breeder could have been mistaken

AB^

5 Year Member
JasonW said:
On sunday I finaly got my B&W tegu which is very rare where im from so there is not a lot of help in keeping him going around. My first problem is that he doesnt want to eat, I know that he needs to adjust to his new enclosure but how long should I wait before I start to worry. My second problem is that im struggling to keep the humidity up, im misting three times a day but it never seems to go over 60% it just hovers around 50-55%. And then my last problem is live feeding. I was told by the breeder that he refuses to take F/T rodents and my parents have a serious problen with me bashing a mouse half to beath so it doesnt injure him. Is there any tricks to get him to accept F/T rodents? Any help would be great because I want my new pet to be as healthy as possible. Thanks

If you're using a screen topped glass cage, those are humidity killers, though you could just place some aluminum foil over the top and that will help keep the humidity in more. I dont see why the tegu wouldnt accept f/t mice. but if it doesnt and does take live ones' then invest in a pair of tong and wiggle around a f/t mouse to make it think that the mouse is alive. (though a tegu will learn really fast that tongs= food)

JasonW

5 Year Member
I finaly got the little guy to accept some beef liver after I added calcium powder to it so Im eally glad that he is eating. Now Ive read a couple of times that you should feed in a seperate container, but is it ok if I let him eat in his enclosure until he has fully adjusted and then start the outside feeding?
Oh and thanks for the humidity advise, just using the foil has brought it up to 68%.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
JasonW said:
I finaly got the little guy to accept some beef liver after I added calcium powder to it so Im eally glad that he is eating. Now Ive read a couple of times that you should feed in a seperate container, but is it ok if I let him eat in his enclosure until he has fully adjusted and then start the outside feeding?
Oh and thanks for the humidity advise, just using the foil has brought it up to 68%.

Jason, tegus are great eaters unless they are having some problems. I would take him to a vet and let them run a float on him.

As for the rodents, try to feed him one dipped in egg yoke that will most often do the trick.

JasonW

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys, he seems to be eating more each day and exploring his enclosure for longer periods of time. But damn he is so messy, im changing his water three times a day because he throws the mulch everywhere. Im going to try the egg yolk thing in the morning and if that doesnt work then I'll try the tongs. For now im happy aslong as he is eating.
Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.