• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to taming tegus

Dallen33

5 Year Member
What is the best way to calm a new tegu before reaching under him to pick them up. My tegu isnt too sure when i go to get underneath him to pick him up to take him out.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Put him in a tub, put a good movie on and just sit and watch tv with your hand in the tub. Thuis way he will find out your hand is not a threat. Do not try to touch him, instead let him come to your hand.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
Thanks...i will most definitely give that a try. Hes not a fan of anyone being in the tank but once hes out hes ok and loves to check everything out.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
lots of methods, like Bobby said with the tub, I just put my hand dangling in his cage for like 10 min and just let him kind of look around and see that i wasnt there to attack him, then i started to pet his back and stopped for the day. Its a process, next day I would do the same thing and then you can slowly start to put your hand UNDER them, never grab just ease under their body so they dont feel threatened, eventually they will come to learn that you are in no way a threat. You can also try putting a small peice of recently warn clothing in their enclosure so they get used to your smell. Bobby has a thread on the homepage of TeguTalk called "Taming the Beast" that has great ways of taming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029