• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to Tegus. From Illinois

Dave L.

Hey all! New to Tegus, but not reptiles. Have been keeping different reptiles and birds for a while. My main focus is falconry. I have been doing this for 9 years. Most fun I can have with my clothes on! LOL! Anyway, looking to maybe add a Tegu to our life. My wife and I have no children and I've always wanted a large lizard that can roam inside when we are home. I'v seen youtube videos and posts that show how tame these guys can be and that they actually seem to want affection! I like that.

Now, the question comes....what tegu? I love the colors on the reds and the blues are cool too, but I don't generally see them very blue.....maybe i am missing something? The black and whites are neat looking animals too. I like the idea of a larger one as my first want was a water monitor....but housing is insane! The black throat isn't far behind. Tegus seemed to me that they were the calmest of the 3 and seemed as though they made the best pets.

So, what does everybody here think? I emailed Tegu Terra and Johnny got back with me and explained that they pretty much all can get dog tame except the columbians. He said stick with Argentines and I'll be happy and it's just color preference.

Thanks guys!

Dave in Illinois

Vayjining22

Hey Dave in illinois!

I too am from illinois and new to tegus.

I struggled with this same decision for basically a year.... And finally bought a red after seeing a freshly shed yearling. Beautiful red and white.... It was stunning. But they all are beautiful to me in their own special ways.... If I could have them all I would! Maybe one day.

They each have their own little specific needs that I've learned about, but like you said are all generally pretty much the same.
But be prepared for an animal that may never tame down.... There are cases where this happens.

Go with your gut!
Or go to your local reptile shops and see if they have any adults or yearlings so you can get a better idea of what they look like. Reptile shows are pretty good for this (breeders conventions)

You just missed the NARBC in Tinley park this weekend :(

Good luck and welcome!

Dave L.

Nope.....didn't miss it. I was there. I really like those Caiman lizards. I saw only one at the show that The Naked Lizard booth had. Those animals are Gorgeous! However, I don't think they are quite the same as a tegu in attitude? I hear mixed answers on this. I'd love one, but had a friend that has had both and her experience was that the Caiman lizard was getting huffier as he got bigger and the opposite with the tegus. Maybe just that indiviual? Who knows? Not enough people have them yet to get a good base line for personality, I think. Just my opinion though.

Dave

Vayjining22

Caiman lizards are beautiful...... I just couldn't meet the care needs for one, and had to accept the fact that it wasn't right for me.

I'm very happy with my little red, however this taming stuff is hard lol. I believe Chicago reptile house still had two black and white youngsters in-stock. Most of the online breeders are sold out at this time.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I personally like the B&W tegus but as for tameness I think you just have to be patient and willing to work with the animal. I don't personally believe there's that much temperament difference between them.

Dave L.

Yep, that's exactly what Johnny said. No big difference between them....Just color preference. That's why I really like those Caiman lizards! Beautiful! It's just having the water area so big and the filtration needed that makes it a pain in the butt. I could build it........but, that's gonna be a big cage! :) I like the idea of interacting with the tegu better than just a cool animal for display. I wish more people had experience with the Caiman lizards!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me