• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new to tegus

kaa

5 Year Member
Hey, I just got my first one, it is a rescue. it's almost 8 months and only 8 inches, I know that is crazy small. It is in a new/better home, I have been checking the site for info and I think I am doing pretty good so far. The gu is active, eating, basking. Everything I would expect from a happy animal. The girl I got him/her from said that it was a bit moody, it even opened its mouth at her when she picked it up. I have been handling it and letting it crawl on me, and it has yet to open its mouth at me, except for once when I picked it up while it was eating, my fault. Well, so far, I am really pleased with the gu. it is a columbian, so I was worried about the attitude that they are suppose to have, but this one is calm and relaxed. Not sickly or anything. I think either the girl lied to me, or something, it doesn't seem under weight or unhealthy. It is one of the coolest lizards I have ever seen. I'm not sure how to tell if it is a male or female, or if it is a black and white, or a gold. I'm still learning, but this site has everything. I will post some pics soon.

whoru

5 Year Member
welcome can we see some pics of your gu i also owen a columbian but mine is a handful her name is joanna is she is pretty fiesty here are couple pics of her she is now around 20inches an is 11months old

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/whoru903/Newtoforumpics?authkey=Gv1sRgCMS9pOSXmtWjJQ&feat=directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/whoru903/Ne ... directlink</a><!-- m -->

kaa

5 Year Member
This is the craigslist posting I got mine from. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bn.craigslist.org/pet/1352345529.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bn.craigslist.org/pet/1352345529.html</a><!-- m --> This one was suppose to be two months old in February, seems really small to me. but it is active, and is good and fat. I think that I got lied to about it all, I also think that they stole the animal or something cuz the whole situation just seemed really weird. But I am prolly just imagineing things.

kaa

5 Year Member
Glad to be here, my gu is like never out, is that normal? I work most of the day, but I figured he would come out more often. Should i have the lights on a timer to go off during the night? I know it wouldn't hurt, but I was just wondering if it had to be done.

kaa

5 Year Member
A few pics of the new columbian

Attachments

• teg.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 2
  • gu.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 1
  • cute.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 2

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe 2 months, I could see that but I sure hope not 8 mths old :( . At that age even though its a Colombian it should be at least twice that size since they don't hibernate. For the little time they do slow down it wouldn't affect its growth that much.

I love that first pic,..couldn't help but say awww :-D .

kaa said:
Glad to be here, my gu is like never out, is that normal? I work most of the day, but I figured he would come out more often. Should i have the lights on a timer to go off during the night? I know it wouldn't hurt, but I was just wondering if it had to be done.

Since its new I wouldn't expect to see it that often, as it settles in (since its a Colombian) I would expect it to flip out when you start to come around. :-D You may or may not have seen it yet but if (or when) you do,..don't worry its normal. As for the timer,...thats up to you but it definitely helps, its one less thing to worry about. Too young to tell if its male or female only time will tell that. Just remember not all but some Columbians do calm down with time, slow movements and patience just like the other Gus'. They just take a lil more time, patience and persistence than the others. For taming and bonding a lot of people use the clothing method. If you haven't heard already, where they put an article of worn clothing in the enclosure with the Gu. Or they were 2 shirts and place the Gu between the shirts and let'em hang out and crawl around for a while.

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Its very small for 8 months (unless its growth was stunted by lack of food and/ or low temps. but dont worry it can still grow up to be a healthy gu (even if its smaller than average) welcome to tegu talk.

kaa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, She flipped out for the first time today, as soon as I came in the room. At least I know she has no problem with moving. I put a work shirt in there with her. It has poo on it now.

kaa

5 Year Member
The columbian ate in a feeding bin for the first time today, and I got a measure on it, 12", not quite 8". still a little skittish, but I can handle that for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan