• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to the board

Maro1

Toby_H said:
Maro1 said:
Toby, explain why the need for such a tall enclosure. Mine I built is 28" and as of yet don't see the need for a taller one.

Maro1

My enclosure is also an aquarium stand (pic below) which is why I chose 3.5', but now I'm really glad I did.

I designed/built it to hold up to 12" of mulch, though in practical use I learned 6~8" is plenty.

I built a shelf about 12" above the top of the substrate, then attached a recessed fixture for a 48" UVB bulb to the bottom of the shelf. This keeps the UVB bulb about 6" above my Tegus back when basking.

The height allows very comfortable viewing while standing in front fo the enclosure. When an enclosure is sitting on the floor and it is shorter (top to bottom) than it is deep (front to back) is harder to view into.

You can use much smaller lumber than 4x4s to build an enclosure/TV stand. Mine can hold up to a 265 gal aquarium and I simply used 2x4s & a few 2x6s.

Thanks for the reply. Lots of practical thoughts there. I built mine before I found this board at 28 with the lighting on the outside. I also let my Tegu roam a lot. But I can see how the added height would be a benefit.
Maro1

Cyric

rhetoricx said:
I'm not sure I would do an underbed either it just seems a bit weird to me. IMO, its better to go a little overboard with some things than end up having to either build another or re-build areas of an enclosure. If built properly a lot of enclosures will last quite a while. I didn't build either of my enclosures but I did I'm sure I would have spent the extra money to make it more durable.

Any word on the colombian yet?

Unfortunately no. Her owner is really hesitant to give her up, which is understandable. Truthfully she's very well cared for, he just has strange work hours. He doesn't feel like he spends enough time with her. Her owner is another herper and I think we all know how tough the decision to rehome can be.

I already told him it was fine if he decided against it. I'm leaning toward wanting to get my own tegu in the future, so this would allow me ample time to build the enclosure and get set up.

Plus I'll have the benefit of rearing a young tegu which is a huge benefit for imprinting and building a trust bond.

I've also decided I would really prefer a giant over a normal, but I know everyone had concerns about a 9x4 enclosure being long enough. By doing 2 28" sections, the final height will be 56" or 4'8" tall. Building a larger rock hide with a big platform will allow an extra 12sqft of roaming space.

I know tegus are pretty strictly terrestrial, but I've read that adding a second platform is fine and that it can make up for the deficit created by an enclosure that's not quite long enough.

What's everyone's take on that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980