• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to the board

Cyric

james.w said:
Are all monitors illegal where you are from?

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/cmr/cmr_900.htm#901

They aren't illegal, but they do require a permit. As far as I can tell permits are mainly granted to educational programs and zoological groups.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cyric said:
james.w said:

They aren't illegal, but they do require a permit. As far as I can tell permits are mainly granted to educational programs and zoological groups.

I didn't see Tegus on the list of lizards allowed without a permit. Are you certain they are legal to keep without the same permit as monitors require?

I also noticed you can't keep Emerald Tree Boas or Green Tree Pythons without a permit. I wonder why that is??

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Theres a google program called sketchup, a couple members have used it to come up with different enclosure options. I tinkered around on it a little bit the other night, its not too complicated, there are tutorial videos if you need them. I don't think a more "l shaped" enclosure would be bad as long as you are able to maintain the proper temps and other basic housing requirements.

I'm all for doing an interview type process that would show knowledge of a species. Maybe it'll happen some day!

Cyric

Tegus are fairly new to the state, and are currently unregulated. Thankfully in MA if you can prove ownership prior to the date of any new legislature becoming active you are "grandfathered in" and do not require a permit.

I've been playing with Autodesk for a few hours. I don't need it to design the enclosure, I'm using it to rearrange furniture and get an idea for where to put things in order to accommodate a large enclosure.

the room is 9x16 and a 9x4 enclosure seems to be the best option for the floorplan. While taking measurements I found that I have fairly narrow doors so my maximum height would be around 28" though that height seems to be acceptable from what I've read.

I know 9x4 is close to the minimums for an EGT, but I am a big proponent of free roaming and when I am home and active he EGT will be allowed to roam, so roughly 2-4 hours a day, with more time on Fri-Sun.

A question I'd like to pose is putting a TV on a raised platform above the enclosure. I have concerns about sound stressing him out, and wanted to know if anyone had anecdotal experience and if or not you think it would pose a problem?

For ventilation I'm planning a mesh outlet in the ceiling of the enclose along with louvers in the doors and possibly rear of the enclosure to allow adequate crossflow of air.

My living situation isn't ideal, but I am in the process of saving a down payment for my first home so I know these constraints wont be a permanent issue either. I'm just considering my options and possibilities.
james.w said:
Cyric said:
james.w said:

I didn't see Tegus on the list of lizards allowed without a permit. Are you certain they are legal to keep without the same permit as monitors require?

I also noticed you can't keep Emerald Tree Boas or Green Tree Pythons without a permit. I wonder why that is??

The reasoning is that they are very hardy species, and they have concerns about them propagating from either intentional or accidental release. If they were to propagate, it would devastating to local wild life and would pose a risk to people as well.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
8’x4’ is the commonly suggested minimum requirement for a normal Arg B&W…

In my opinion, 8’x4’ is not large enough for an adult male Extreme Giant…

My 50” adult male normal Arg Tegu winters in an 8’ x 3’ and I do not feel it is large enough to house him all year round. He spends his summers on a 12’ x 6’ outdoor deck/balcony and seems very happy with this accommodation.

It seems to me, that the “Extreme Giant” line of Tegus are simply a locale or possibly subspecies of the Tupinambis merianae (aka Argentine Tegu). I’ve seen no evidence to suggest that they are actually from the Chocoan Region, and from what I can see Bobby has stopped using that title and simply calls them “Extreme Giants”.

While I understand Bobby has 5’ specimen, I’ve yet to see anyone else who has examples of them at such sizes. I made a thread that is still around asking for examples of adults and while there are plenty of examples of fast growing sub adults, there are no 5’ examples in that thread.

I went back and forth deciding between a regular Arg B&W or an Extreme Giant. 3 years later I am very glad I went with the regular B&W. I’d much rather have a less large happier Tegu than a less happy larger Tegu, and I just couldn’t realistically give mine any more space than I am currently.

My enclosure is 3.5’ tall and I wouldn’t want it any smaller. There are several other members who have recently built 24~28” tall enclosures and now wish they would have went bigger.

My suggestion is to make a two part enclosure that interlocks.

Mine is actually 35” front to back and will fit into a standard exterior door but will not fit through any typical interior doors. My enclosure is in the room meant to be a dining room…

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you plan on putting your lights inside 28" will not be tall enough. I found out the hard way.

Cyric

9 Feet is basically my maximum length in the home I'm currently in. Would that be acceptable for a normal B&W? I plan on relocating to a larger year, but it will be another 2-3 years before I'm able to do that.

I've never seen an interlocking enclosure, are there any diagrams or plans that would show how that works? I'm guessing it's a tongue and groove slot sealed with silicone once assembled?

I've got my plans mostly sketched out, but I can adjust by creating a 28" top and bottom section to double the height.

I'm also wondering what everyone's experiences have been with recessed versus fluorescent light fixtures? What types of recessed light fixtures have you used for heat lamps? I want to reduce as much possible risk for fire as I can.

I'll scan and post the sketches a bit later once they're finished.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think a 9x3 could work for the first 2 (possibly 3 but it'd be pushing it very close) years of a giants life, i never seen a recommended enclosure size for a giant but i would imagine a 10x5 would be the bare minimum for a giant, i plan to go 12x6 because i will be living in a house and storm and rayne will be living in a basement so space to build an enclosure that size wont be a problem, i have a facebook friend who builds reptile enclosures who has already agreed to help with the build, i think i will do 2 enclosures stacked up but we havnt figured it out yet since i dont have a measurement of how high the ceiling is

Cyric

sounds like I'll be going with a normal B&W then. Once I buy my own home I'll have the option of building a second larger enclosure for a giant.

As much as I'd love to make a larger enclosure, I just don't have the space.

Good luck with your building. 12x6 sounds like an impressive enclosure.

Maro1

Toby_H said:
My enclosure is 3.5’ tall and I wouldn’t want it any smaller. There are several other members who have recently built 24~28” tall enclosures and now wish they would have went bigger.

Toby, explain why the need for such a tall enclosure. Mine I built is 28" and as of yet don't see the need for a taller one.

Maro1

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maro1 said:
Toby_H said:

Toby, explain why the need for such a tall enclosure. Mine I built is 28" and as of yet don't see the need for a taller one.

Maro1

I also built mine at 28" tall and when I started installing lights and figuring substrate depth, the 28" did not leave enough room for the Tegu. I took the top off of mine and added an additional 9". If you put the lights on the outside, 28" should leave enough room.

Cyric

I was planning on recessed lighting, but I'm fine with a taller enclosure. I hadn't thought of an interlocking structure. I was just basing the initial build plans on what would fit through my door, lol.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I also went 28" to fit through a door. I am going to be keeping mine in the garage now. Hopefully I can keep the temps under control. I might have to invest in a swamp cooler. If the temps get too high, I will be tearing mine apart and reassembling it in the house. :(

Cyric

Yeah, I'm just looking for the best method to join the two parts. I'm thinking a tongue and groove setting would be adequate, and I can seal it with silicone to prevent and moisture related swelling.

I'm not too worried about the two sections separating. I'm going to use a couple of 4x4's to support the center since I have to use the top of the enclosure as storage and a TV stand since I'm giving up a ton of floor space, lol.

Doors are pesky. I'll have to make sure my next place has sliders large enough to accommodate the whole thing. :p

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maro1 said:

Maro1

My enclosure is also an aquarium stand (pic below) which is why I chose 3.5', but now I'm really glad I did.

I designed/built it to hold up to 12" of mulch, though in practical use I learned 6~8" is plenty.

I built a shelf about 12" above the top of the substrate, then attached a recessed fixture for a 48" UVB bulb to the bottom of the shelf. This keeps the UVB bulb about 6" above my Tegus back when basking.

The height allows very comfortable viewing while standing in front fo the enclosure. When an enclosure is sitting on the floor and it is shorter (top to bottom) than it is deep (front to back) is harder to view into.

You can use much smaller lumber than 4x4s to build an enclosure/TV stand. Mine can hold up to a 265 gal aquarium and I simply used 2x4s & a few 2x6s.

Cyric

I just figured the 4x4's would provide adequate support in the middle. I'm building a flip down desk off the enclosure as well as using the top surface for storage and a TV stand. At 9' long I'd much rather have too much support than not enough.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
4x4's might be better in the long run, you might end up putting other things on top of the tank and if thats the case theres less worry! One of mine has a few 4x4's in the middle of the enclosure and that sucker is sturdy.

Cyric

That's my thought.

I saw the underbed enclosure, and while I love that idea, I couldn't pull it off.

I'm a big fella and would fear for the safety of my tegu, lol.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not sure I would do an underbed either it just seems a bit weird to me. IMO, its better to go a little overboard with some things than end up having to either build another or re-build areas of an enclosure. If built properly a lot of enclosures will last quite a while. I didn't build either of my enclosures but I did I'm sure I would have spent the extra money to make it more durable.

Any word on the colombian yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980