• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to the Gu!

Tedzilla

Hi Everyone!

As you read this, we are working on getting an Argentine B&W Tegu from Varnyard, and we can't be any more excited! :-D He/She will be replacing our Blue tail monitor who passed away recently, and is joining a number of other interesting critters we have. Among them: 3 leopard geckos, an Iguana (Iguana Iguana), a citrus sandfire cross beardie, a lemon pastel het ghost ball python, a giant leopard tortoise, two dogs and six north american crazy children. haha.

So, since we are new to the tegu, does anyone have advice for a first timer? Bobby had a ton of great info, but I'm looking to hear some more of your experiences.

Thanks!

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
You deff made a wise choice to go with a Varnyard tegu. Only advise I can give you is to stock your fridge! lol

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Yes, read bobby's care sheets. And also set up your enclosure ahead to time to get temperatures and humidity right. The humidity is the hardest part. I use a glass enclosure for mine until she grows out of it. it holds the humidity well. On top is a a screen cover which I covered with aluminum foil with a hole cut out for the PowerSun. I have a ReptiFogger that emits fog which is connected to a humidity/temp sensor for auto regulation. Make sure you can also find the right kind of substrate in your area. I live in Seattle and it's hard to find the right kinds up here. I use Orchid Bark, which Bobby has suggested as Okay for Tegus. But to keep this short, basically just make sure you have everything set up ahead of time. Also buy some timers for your lights. Anything to save you time is great! Oh, and use a shirt that you have worn for your little guy to snuggle in inside the tank. So he/she can get used to your scent. And lastly, make sure it can't get out! Mine got out twice when I was sure she couldn't! Don't underestimate their smarts. No matter how small they are! If you have more questions. Feel free to private message me. I have pictures of my set up...

-BLAIR
GOOD LUCK!

rmzsuzuki89

HorseCaak said:
Yes, read bobby's care sheets. And also set up your enclosure ahead to time to get temperatures and humidity right. The humidity is the hardest part. I use a glass enclosure for mine until she grows out of it. it holds the humidity well. On top is a a screen cover which I covered with aluminum foil with a hole cut out for the PowerSun. I have a ReptiFogger that emits fog which is connected to a humidity/temp sensor for auto regulation. Make sure you can also find the right kind of substrate in your area. I live in Seattle and it's hard to find the right kinds up here. I use Orchid Bark, which Bobby has suggested as Okay for Tegus. But to keep this short, basically just make sure you have everything set up ahead of time. Also buy some timers for your lights. Anything to save you time is great! Oh, and use a shirt that you have worn for your little guy to snuggle in inside the tank. So he/she can get used to your scent. And lastly, make sure it can't get out! Mine got out twice when I was sure she couldn't! Don't underestimate their smarts. No matter how small they are! If you have more questions. Feel free to private message me. I have pictures of my set up...

-BLAIR
GOOD LUCK!

How much was your fogger, and how did you hook it up to a humidity/temp gauge? Also where do you get timers for your lights?...Sorry if these are noob questions lol.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hello and welcome to the world of tegus! igot my timer at walmart and you get a fogger from most petshop not sure about the temp/humidity sensor dont use one, but i would like add to make sure you have some vitamins and calcium to add to the tegus meal. oh and buy a second enclosure you will need it for the second tegu lol jk most people cant have just one i myself have 2 b/w's and a red coming tuesday (hopefully)

Tedzilla

Bobby is shipping our Tegu today, we will have it by tomorrow! :-D We are SOOOOOOO excited. He said they are between 12 and 15 inches long. Can't wait to meet our new gu! We are finishing her two story tegu townhouse today, she's going to love it! When you guys got your tegus did the new environment stress them out? Should I offer food or just let her adjust?

isdrake

5 Year Member
Congratulations on your new Tegu. And welcome to the forum. I'm pretty jealous on you guys who can just order a Tegu from a good breeder and get it a short time afterwards. :)

Non of our Tegus seemed too stressed about the new environment. I'm sure they where stressed but not in a way so they stayed hidden.

I think you can offer her food. Other than that I think you should just leave her alone so she can adjust and start to feel comfortable in her new home.

Don't forget to show us some pictures. :D

Tedzilla

Oh you guys will be sick of all the pics we are going to post! Myself and my girlfriend (she just registered on the board as BabyShari) have been researching these awesome beasts for quite some time now so the excitement level is way up there. I'm sure a million posts with questions are soon to come from us. lol

Adam87

5 Year Member
chances are your tegu will possibly still be in hibernation cause when i got mine he was still in hibernation and didnt until now cause hes slowly coming out of it but always offer food and water even if its a small amount if hes hungry he'll eat and my signature is my tegu chances are he/she will look like this enjoy ur gu

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
rmzsuzuki89 said:
How much was your fogger, and how did you hook it up to a humidity/temp gauge? Also where do you get timers for your lights?...Sorry if these are noob questions lol.

Hey rmzsuzuki89, I sent you a private message with the details. If anyone else is curious of the answer to his question, please private message me and I will send you the same info.
:cheers

-BLAIR

Mr Critter

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new tegu,You probably have a Jam & Whitey baby,When i got my tegu #3 about a month ago Bobby said thets all he had left. By the way u might as well start building another enclosure ,You will want another GU....

Adam87

5 Year Member
i agree fully with Mr critter there very addicting when blues come aviliable i'll be getting one for sure, then a red....and female b/w......and maybe a female Red haha Tegus taste the rainbow

isdrake

5 Year Member
Mr Critter said:
Congrats on the new tegu,You probably have a Jam & Whitey baby,When i got my tegu #3 about a month ago Bobby said thets all he had left. By the way u might as well start building another enclosure ,You will want another GU....

So true. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980