• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to the Tegu world!

Marlene

5 Year Member
Well, I'm new to this forum and I've purchased my first tegu! I bought a Colombian gold Tegu, I've heard they're hard to tame, but this little baby LOVES attention... and food! It's eating crickets and mealworms right now, and I just ordered a bunch of dubia roaches for it and my other lizards! If anyone has any helpul hints, I would love to hear them!

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
Let me be the first to say Welcome to the forum! As i don't keep columbians i can share what i have heard from various owners, columbians grow into their "aggressive" behavior they start out loveable and attention seeking but as they get older and the terrible two's begin to set in they get a lot more mean, charging at your hand, gaping, attempted biting, tail whipping, hissing not in that order =P...i've heard of the handling in the world wont stop it and you've gotta take it as it comes, but with hard work and some good leather gloves that tegu can be back to the way it was when you first got it so don't give up! Just give it time and attention and most importantly FOOD lol Good luck with your Gu and we love pics here so please do post some ^.^

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a M/F adult pair of COlombians and they are pretty cool. As long as you don't expect them to be like Argentines, they are great. Both of mine are handleable, inquisitive, tame, and neither bites. They will tail whip, but only if they have found themselves in a new room of the house, under the furniture, and you're trying to get them out. ;)

I started feeding mine outside of the enclosure when I first got it (the female at about 6 months) so handling would have a positive association. I did use thick leather gloves at first, but I've never been bitten by her.

What I have found works best for her is consistency and very little change in her environment. I did the T-shirt trick, I kept her enclosure in the living room where she would be close to the people, and I handled her almost every day.

Have you read this: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=21</a><!-- l -->

The male I bought around Christmas time and he is great. I'm not sure of his age, but my female is 4 years old now and they are a cool little pair! Here's a picture of her hanging out with my daughter:

Oreo, female Colombian
5851_1181454504626_1476112996_48665.jpg

Reptiles2009.jpg

Chester, male Colombian
Chesterbasking.jpg

Chester2.jpg

Marlene

5 Year Member
Thank's for the info White_Lotus!

My Tegu is in the bathroom right now, only because it was in quarentine for a little while after I bought it. I'll be picking up its new cage this weekend, so I'll have to put quite a bit of though into how I want it's cage set up! I've never heard of the "ignoring" trick, but it's similar to what I've been doing with my baby savannah, who has become the most difficult little thing to tame that I've ever come across. And your tegus are very beautiful! My tegu has been laying on my lap the entire time that I've been on the computer, well, aside from when it attacked the fish on the screen, it was so adorable though! I will definitely have to put up some photos! Oh! And I feed my tegu in the bath tub or on the counter if it's just a small treat. I only feed mealworms/kingworms as treats.

These were the two Tegus that I could have chosen. The one on the left was quite active and just wanted out, the one on the right, the one I purchased, wanted out, but was much more calm! The one on the left also bit a little kid.
DSC01345.jpg

I'll be taking more pictures to put up soon!

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
my savvy isnt like my tegus as far as mine \doesnt investigate me he while i clean his cage but he just watches me lol wherever i am in the room he is constantly watching what i'm doing with that look of "What in tarnation is he doing over there?" but i've raised mine since he was a few weeks old and everyday he comes out for an episode of spongebob then he gets a bath food and then back to his house for basking =) my gf took a picture of us watching tv its kinda funny.

Marlene

5 Year Member
That's so cute! My tegu crawls up my arm when I go into its cage to clean, then in crawls up to the mirror and stares at its reflection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980