• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to this please help...

tegugirl

5 Year Member
She has been in her NEW rock cave since this morning when i changed her tank around....on the cold side....she hasent came out at all, so I guess we will wait it out and i just turned the lights off and left red bulb on to keep in the basking side...will return on lights in morning...and hopefully see her come out....

tegugirl

5 Year Member
Oh and i got a 5.0 light and a 50w basking light she is in a 40 gallon tank right now...as one is being built for her...i was told that was enough for her right now...

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
it can't be all that hard, i just use a 60 watt heat daytime bulb, and a UVB lighting, and give my tegu plenty of natural calcium
and just turn the room temperature up at night after i turn the lights off

tegugirl

5 Year Member
Ok my Tegu is doing better, i got her a big rock and cocked in over for 30 mins and she is basking in the sun today I tried to feed her some grapes, chicken cooked meat (breeder told me to) and soft boiled eggs and she ate none of it. I will try a pinkie again but she seems to not want to eat, but she is out and moving around and loving her lights.

jor71

5 Year Member
FYI, no one can tell you what will work when it comes to temperatures. There are things that play a part on how warm or cold an enclosure can get. Example: Your enclosure is near an AC vent and it gets hit with constant cold air and you keep the thermostat at 70 throughout your house; you will indeed need more to keep your enclosure at a steady high temp.

You must experiment (which really should be done prior to buying a reptile) with different wattages and see which works for you.

You need to monitor the temps by using a temp gun and a good digital thermometer(s). I use three thermometers in my enclosure and I use a temp gun to monitor the basking spot. Temps are very important, so do not take anyone's word for it. Check your temps, double check, triple check...you get my point :)

I am not sure about the cooked chicken meat, I always heard to give them raw meat. The exception to cooked food is eggs, you should atleast soft-boil them.

When it comes to food, you need to experiment at the beginning and see what it likes to eat. Also, the breeder should be able to tell you what he/she has been feeding the Tegu.

Remember the UVB lights are ineffective when they are too far away from the animal. If you have a screen or glass between the bulb and the lizard, the screen/glass cuts out some/most of the essential UV rays!

Good luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602