• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

newbie hibernation questions

druboi

I am hoping to obtain a pair of extreme giants this Summer. I have to do my research and build or at least have the plans and funds to build a suitable habitat for the adults first. I want to keep them ''right'' and eventually breed them. I have been reading about hibernation and there seemes to be conflicting reports of its nessecity, though the breeder has always hibernated his animals.
From what I have garnered here and elsewhere, the animals seem to choose hibernation on their own and then the keeper follows up with cooler temps, reduced lighting, and witholding food. I would prefer they did not hibernate, but will not force them either way.
My worry is that, if I want to breed them and it does affect them negatively not to hibernate and they don't initiate themselves, then what? When I might I expect them to begin hibernation and how can I prepare them for it? Should I even allow yearlings to hibernate? What are the risk involved (could I lose an animal?)? What temps should I aim for and when can I expect them to begin to wake up and when they do, how do I adjust their photoperiod, temps ,and feeding?
In your experience, how far back does hibernation set back the tameing process?
Thanks so much in advance for helping me get to know these fantastic creatures, before I get them.

Dana C

From what I have read, hibernation or not doesn't affect the Tegu's ability or desire to breed. I think in one of the articles from Varnyard, Bobby Hill says that he has had viable clutches from non hibernating pairs.
As far as the "when" question goes, there are likely as many different answers as their are people on this forum. My personal opinion is that they will start the process earlier or later depending on your latitude and weather. They more than likely will hibernate next winter, yearling or not.
The "if" question is a little different. I let my lizards decide if they are going to or not. I don't think it should be up to me to make them not do something that they instinctively want to do.

druboi

I agree and will not force them either way. I guess they will slow down on intake and sleep more, which will cue me to reduce lighting and temps?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hibernation is not a necessity for breeding, but rather a trigger for hormonal production that stimulates reproductive behavior. Hibernation may increase the chances of tegus being "in the mood" or affect fertility rates, but not hibernating is not a infertility sentence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980