• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Newly Converted

nohotegu

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I'm another Newbie, expecting a hatchling from Bob when they are ready (at the end of the month I think?).
I'm extremely excited, I'm preparing everything now even though its a little bit away. I have two Egyptian Uromastyxs already, a boy and a girl.
Caring for Tegu's is obviously a bit different. Is there anything they need as hatchlings that the adults dont need? I know they'll only eat meat at first - planning on feeding him/her crickets or meal worms dusted with vitamins, boiled egg, etc. Also I know hatchlings need a UVB lamp more than adults, right? Do those provide any heat?
One other (silly?) question that I cant find the answer to anywhere else:
How often do you feed them, esp. a hatchling?
So excited to join the group! I've been reading all these posts for awhile...

Nero

5 Year Member
welcome to the group dude we all were in your shoes at once, dont worry all of us are here to help

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nohotegu said:
Hi All,
I'm another Newbie, expecting a hatchling from Bob when they are ready (at the end of the month I think?).

That is correct, they will be ready around then.

I'm extremely excited, I'm preparing everything now even though its a little bit away. I have two Egyptian Uromastyxs already, a boy and a girl.
Caring for Tegu's is obviously a bit different. Is there anything they need as hatchlings that the adults dont need? I know they'll only eat meat at first - planning on feeding him/her crickets or meal worms dusted with vitamins, boiled egg, etc. Also I know hatchlings need a UVB lamp more than adults, right? Do those provide any heat?

I would not use too much of the dust, I would feed pinkies at least once a week or even twice a week. As for the UV lights, some do give off heat and some do not, it depends on the type of bulb.

One other (silly?) question that I cant find the answer to anywhere else:
How often do you feed them, esp. a hatchling?
So excited to join the group! I've been reading all these posts for awhile...

I feed mine every day, they get all they can eat.

Also, welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you could join us!! :)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
e2v97wd8.jpg

luckdragon

5 Year Member
My husband and I just brought home an Argentine Tegu which is about 10 inches long and we named it Argyle. We were watching it explore the tank yesterday and it likes it's little hideaway on the warmer side of the tank.

We got the humidity up this morning, does anyone have recommendations for an ideal humidity level range?

Also, we have the light positioned in a fish tank top, but I was reading somewhere that the UV rays do not go through the glass? What does everyone else do for their UV lighting?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
luckdragon said:
We got the humidity up this morning, does anyone have recommendations for an ideal humidity level range?

60%-70% will suffice. I personally shoot for 75%.

luckdragon said:
Also, we have the light positioned in a fish tank top, but I was reading somewhere that the UV rays do not go through the glass? What does everyone else do for their UV lighting?

Yes, UV cannot penetrate glass. If you are using a screen top, you are loosing some beneficial UV but not all. People who use screen tops do fine using Mercury Vapor bulbs. Other people build there own custom tops for glass aquariums so that they can attach UVB tube lighting and/or halogens or mercury vapor bulbs. Your best bet will be to build a custom enclosure so you can get optimum UVA/B lighting and temp. gradients.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
luckdragon said:

70% is good.

You have a glass top?? Most tanks have a wire top which will block some UVB. What bulb are you using? A ReptiSun 10 is good as long as he can get to 12" from it. You'lll have to cover up most of the top to retain heat and humidity. The Accu-Rite digital indoor/outdoor/humidity gage is about $11 at Wal-Mart. The stick on ones are known to be inaccurate.

Beazer

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12513.jpg">http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12513.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Those are good to use for the uvb. If you use mercury vapor bulbs, do not handle it with your hands, use a towel. You will ruin the bulb if you use your bare hands.
Nohotegu, you do use uvb on your Uromastyx right? And no, uv bulbs dont put out a sginificant amount of heat unless they are the mercury vapoer heat lamp ones.

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.globalexoticpets.com/sub_pages/stock/zoo_med/lighting/images/stock_pics/powersun%5B1%5D.jpg">http://www.globalexoticpets.com/sub_pag ... 5B1%5D.jpg</a><!-- m -->

That one is the mercury vapor. Sorry, in a rush. Hope that helps a bit. I like it when people show me pics of what I am needing than describing lol.

-Jon DeLong

nohotegu

5 Year Member
Yes, they get all the UV they need - when I got them from their previous owner they were skinny and hadn't had UV light. They were a sad sight, to be sure, really lathargic and I was really worried they were going to get or already had bone disease. Anyway it didnt take long for them to perk up and fatten up, I've even taken them outside to get some real sun, which they weren't too sure about at first but love now (mmm dandilions!)

I am getting my tegu as soon as I'm back in town next week, I'm really excited but to be honest I'm a little nervous. I've been reading everything I can all summer but still feel nervous!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol, your tegus love dandilions? That's funny, most of my friends' lizards, especially the tegus and the beardies, LOVE dandilions too!

Beasty

5 Year Member
I was reading the discussion about MVBs and the best (and cheapest) I found is at reptileuv.com Mega Ray self ballasted(prolly 100w should do~get a temp gun, don't roast yer critter!) in conjunction with a large, deepest clamp lamp (found unpainted metal ones better and cheaper) with a ceramic socket usually rated for 250-300w. This type set-up of lighting will last the lifetime of your animal as if needed you'll be able to use higher wattage. Check out the site and dig the reviews and research they did on all the competition. I tried it. I love them and you can tell the difference for certain and so can your herps. And versus the $70+tax the pet shop charges $50 delivered and uv light that out shines the competition to start and lasts 3 times as long or longer is a true bargain!
My 2 cents. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.