• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

No calcium supplements?

Lovestegus

5 Year Member
I've heard of people feeding their tegu good amounts of fish and mice and they've said it is enough calcium alone. I've done it with my Savannah monitor and he is in great shape. Your thoughts?

AWD247

5 Year Member
Ive had monitors for over 10 years, fed all sorts of different foods, to be honest with you, obviously in the wild they dont have a way of getting extra supplements, they should do fine if fed properly and variety, but in the same respect, its like taking vitamins as a young child and adult, its always good, having a supplement scheduled would give me easy of mind and maybe a healthier/longer life for your monitor.

Just my .02 and something to consider being that all foods dont have the same nutrition

Quijibo

5 Year Member
I've raised several savannahs, and several other monitors without suppliments. Proper diet and a little sunshine makes happy monitors.
When it's warm, all of my reptiles go outside a few times a week.
Try to limit the mice, too much fat. I've seen many savannahs (not mine)perish due to fatty liver disease. I don't know if Tegu's are as susceptible to fatty livers, I haven't done much research on them. All of the field research I've seen up to now suggests Args eat a lot of vegetable matter. I think I would keep the mice to a minimum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus