• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Not defecating

jor71

5 Year Member
I think Ash is going into slow down mode, but he has not defecated in about 5 days. He has been out for only a few hours in the morning and goes back into his hide and burrows for the day.

Last night (actually this morning) at around 12:30 AM I noticed he was outside of his hide and sleeping alongside his basking rock. He has never done this before and he was out there all night. I gave him a warm bath this morning for about 20 minutes and he did not go to the bathroom.

I fed him about 4 times this week and he did not eat as much as he use to eat. I would say about half of what he normally eats.

Is it common for them not to defecate as frequent? I am wondering if the lack of UVB and also the lack of basking in high temperatures is causing his digestive system not to function properly.

I just picked up some Activia and will mix it in with some food tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe R.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think defecating less often comes with the territory when they start to slow down. Boon has only crapped like 4 times in the last month :-D . Usually when he pops for a few bites and to bask i'll mist him and he almost always poops then.

jor71

5 Year Member
JohnMatthew said:
I think defecating less often comes with the territory when they start to slow down. Boon has only crapped like 4 times in the last month :-D . Usually when he pops for a few bites and to bask i'll mist him and he almost always poops then.

I was not sure if the slow down process would cause him not to poop as often. He was always going right after I would feed him. My downfall is that I always worry about my animals. I always like to make sure I do everything right for them and give them a comfortable and happy life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980