• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

nothin but poop

gymrat

5 Year Member
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i was wondering how to potty train my Argentine b/w cause i want it to walk around my house like a dog but my wife wont let me until i potty train it

ihatehumans

5 Year Member
I have heard of people doing this with dogs, cats, chimpanzees, and iguanas and i think it would work for tegus. What you do is place different spots in strategic locations all over the house. Then If the tegu uses one. Reinforce this with positive behaviour such as giving the tegu a treat (the only real treats for tegus I know of are wax worms. Maybe other forum members could help me here). When the tegu gets used to It stop feeding treats and try something more nutritious so aas to not give your tegu health problems.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
That's interesting. I've been wondering how to potty train lizards. I saw DaveDragon's iguana poop in a designated spot right when it came out and I was both in awe and shock!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
LOL, DaveDragon!

You know, Lucky keeps pooping on the same spot on the floor in the livingroom...I'm going to put a newspaper there next time and see if he still poops on it. Who knows, maybe it'll work?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some people put them immediately into a warm water bath to poop before handling them. Eventually they learn just to go there. The tub works great with our Iguana!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do the tub trick. My big girl poos as soon as she hist the water. The tub has a handle sprayer and I can clean the tub pretty easily. My Colombian is paper trained. Or she has me paper trained. She doesn't like to go in her cage, so she sort of "begs" to come out. I feed her on paper and she poos immediately when she's done eating. I'm still working on the ig.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Despite not being potty trained yet, Lucky is still good to me. When he was younger he would poop on the bed, the couch, and on me. Now, when he has to go, he urgently tries to make the point that he wants off the couch and wants off me, until I put him on the floor. Then he runs to his little spot in the living room. So he kind of potty trained himself....I just need to associate poop with an item or place now ... like the newspaper or the tub.

ptviperz

5 Year Member
I take my teg out on the 3rd day after he eats and he poops outside, always. I feed him on Sun and Wed and I take him out before he feeds each day.

If I'm to slow he kind of lets me know that he wants out of his cage and that's the sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980