• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Obviosuly not hibernating this year

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Both of my yearlings are still awake and it's mid-Jan. I guess they have decided to stay awake this year. Temps drop to 60 at night and daytime highs are 80-90. They are basking since they are eating (ravenously, I might add), but the hours are 9-6. The B/W female hibernated last year, but I didn't have the red male last year. Seems like Bobby said he hibernated as well. Are they keeping each other awake?

My older B/W female slept most of the time from Sept-Jan and has just woken up in full force last week. She's in full shed and eating like a horse. Last year she slept from Oct-March. It just seems odd this year.

Any opinions or suggestions for next year? I do prefer them to have a natural cycle, but being in Central FL, I can't exactly make it any colder! :chin

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is strange Laura, I let mine hibernate together and I have not had any problems with them keeping each other awake, but I do house mine outside. The red did hibernate last year, and he should be sleeping now. The reds usually go into hibernation later than the BNWs, and sleep a little longer. I do understand about the weather though, it has been a very warm winter this year.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, it was cooler earlier in the year, then a lot warmer than usual. They live in the garage and it never drops below 60-even in the new house. I just went out there and they are looking up at me like, "Food? Food?" Will they likely sleep at all this season, or are they pretty much awake until next year?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Well, it was cooler earlier in the year, then a lot warmer than usual. They live in the garage and it never drops below 60-even in the new house. I just went out there and they are looking up at me like, "Food? Food?" Will they likely sleep at all this season, or are they pretty much awake until next year?

Hard to say Laura, a few of mine will come out on a warm day, but they will not eat. If your temps get cooler I am sure they will try to go to sleep. But with temps hitting 80s-90s they are prob thinking it is spring. Dang crazy weather.

joog

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
laurarfl said:

Hard to say Laura, a few of mine will come out on a warm day, but they will not eat. If your temps get cooler I am sure they will try to go to sleep. But with temps hitting 80s-90s they are prob thinking it is spring. Dang crazy weather.

And what if your temperatures cant get lower then 60 / 90 get this year. And your tegu continue to eat. Can I leave the temperature as it is,or just better for them to keep still on summer temperature?

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
If you're gu is still up and eating it is better to keep the temps up and the lights on if he/she is living indoors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029