• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

On The Verge of Ownership

Kool-Aid

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Kool-aid and I am a reptila addict..First off I am very new to this Forum and this is my 1st post :-D. I live in the inner city and I am about to aquire 1 540sq. foot studio apt.. I currently have a 1yr old 3 ft red tail boa who is nothing short of a pussycat. Anyhoo these Dinosaur/Kamodo Dragon/Crodile like lizards do something for me. It started out with just a read and has now turned into 2 months of solid research..lol.

I wannt a Tegu like nobody's bees wax. I saw the most beautiful lil red hatchling at the pet store, but he is easily one of the most agressive animals I have ever seen in my life. That pet store also has animals with mouth rot, impaction, RI's and the works. He even houses pythons with boas..... :shock: But I digress

I do have a busy schedule(work 8-5 fulltime student 6-10), but I have been reading and I am far from the only one. I will make time for this little guy.Like all of you folks I have narrowed it down to the
Argentine Red and B&W.. Unfortunatly I do not think I have enogh space for them and I'm not sure if I want a 15lbs lizard. I am also very inexperienced with these reptiles, so a Columbian is not desirable. The only choice I'm left with is a blue. Maybe a 4ft lizard is not as big as I think. Heck my Snake is gonna be 7 ft long and about 60lbs..lololol. As long as I an house it in a 6x4 enclosure, i'm good. Someone please help!!

If I can not properly take care of this animal, then I do not want it.

P.S. Pix of the boa
Yeah08269.jpg

Yeah08304.jpg

Yeah08296.jpg

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
It all depends on what you want out of your relationship with your tegu. Some folks on here want a cat that will sit on your lap and chill while you watch tv. Some are minimal interventionists. I have cut down my time with my tegus significantly, but they still recognize me. I'm not one to spend too much time in direct contact with mine. I let them roam around when I can supervise and pick them up when necessary, and when I'm feeling like companionship. They deserve a proper size home which should be about 1/2 an acre, but an 8x4x4 works minimally for any adult, whether it be a little columbian, a blue, or a Chacoan. Make your decision on what you can handle, but as for size... a tegu is just a tegu.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forums..

that petstore does sound like a good petstore at ALL!!!!There are plenty of breeders that could sell you a nice red tegu that won't rip you face off..umm a good breeder is Varnyard!!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, for starters, (assuming you are capable of properly caring for one and giving it lots of attention) I would like to reccomend an Argentine Black and White Tegu (probably a female) on the basis of a few facts, including:

> Most blues on the market are quite inbred.
> A female argentine rarely ever gets over 3 1/2 feet.
> You can get a 100% healthy, 110% gorgeous baby tegu from Bobby (Varnyard), the Admin and creator of this website. He has some of the best tegus around. He uses methods of selective breeding to get the most beutiful tegus.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you dont have the time to "tame" it then dont get it.. It sounds like you are a busy kid. And i feel that young Tegu need LOT of attention. I wouldnt want to be stuck in the house all day.. and im sure Tegus dont either... But if you think you are up for one and you believe you have the time, Then go for it..They are amazing animals, Very smart.. and can be loving, if shown affection.

Kool-Aid

5 Year Member
DZLife said:
Well, for starters, (assuming you are capable of properly caring for one and giving it lots of attention) I would like to reccomend an Argentine Black and White Tegu (probably a female) on the basis of a few facts, including:

> Most blues on the market are quite inbred.
> A female argentine rarely ever gets over 3 1/2 feet.
> You can get a 100% healthy, 110% gorgeous baby tegu from Bobby (Varnyard), the Admin and creator of this website. He has some of the best tegus around. He uses methods of selective breeding to get the most beutiful tegus.

You sir owe me $150.. Becuz you pushed me right over the edge..How dare you!!

I have been looking at and reading on Mr. Bobby Hill for a while now. Very repputable guy (even if his site froze my computer :lol: ). He seems like the best/only choice.

Lexi, I will get my Tegu in May but I won't be going to school until Late September. i still have my weekends free, where I can dedicate a whole day to this little beast. They aare soooo amazing, I just don't see me not making one mine.
The only thing I don't really like is the whoole (buying before seeing) thing. I want a B&W with more white then black. I want it to have a light face and I want a very very young one. I got my boa as a hatchling and IMHO that is the best way to build a bond.. I appreciate your comments tho. Thank You

gebris353

5 Year Member
Welcome aboard! Glad you want one! About that thing of buying before seeing, I didnt get mine from Bobby (cause I'm Argentinian lol) but I think he can send you a few pics with some of the tegus that fit that description so you can choose and see what you are gonna buy, just ask him so you dont have any doubt. I would recomend a red one! Yeah I love reds! But when you see baby ones I really dont care if they are purple, they are all so cute! :-D

Btw, beautiful boa! ;)

Kool-Aid

5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
Welcome aboard! Glad you want one! About that thing of buying before seeing, I didnt get mine from Bobby (cause I'm Argentinian lol) but I think he can send you a few pics with some of the tegus that fit that description so you can choose and see what you are gonna buy, just ask him so you dont have any doubt. I would recomend a red one! Yeah I love reds! But when you see baby ones I really dont care if they are purple, they are all so cute! :-D

Btw, beautiful boa! ;)

Thanks!! Reds to me either go two ways Drop dead gorgeous or...well...not so much, lol. It is really hard to beat a nice cream and red Tegu. i'm still leaning towards b&W but we will see what his invetory looks like come hatching time.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You sir owe me $150.. Becuz you pushed me right over the edge..How dare you!!

I have been looking at and reading on Mr. Bobby Hill for a while now. Very repputable guy (even if his site froze my computer :lol: ). He seems like the best/only choice.

Sorry, can't help you there; I just spent all my money on a new tegu of my own!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the nice comments guys!!

Also welcome to the tegutalk community!!

If you are wanting a smaller tegu, a black n white female would be a better choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus